Taking suggestions for playtime/toys

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm getting a bit frustrated with play time with my 2.5 yr old Oriental Shorthair (OSH) named Grembly. Before getting an OSH, I did plenty of research and was well aware this breed needs plenty of attention, exercise, and playtime featuring different toy options. So, yeah.....she wants NOTHING to do with the majority of toys! Doesn't even bother with jingle balls/light up balls, ignores stuffed toys (with or without catnip), will play with a laser pointer for approximately 30 seconds before losing interest, and even ignores the more expensive enrichment toys that have moving parts. Something she did really love was wand toys, which was great because it helped her expel energy, but her interest in those is waning now too. Both my girls *absolutely loved* the Petlinks Mystery Motion cat toy, but now Grem will grab the wand and drag it all over the house instead of actually playing with it like it's intended lol. I know cats can get bored with their toys, but this is a bit much. Any suggestions would be welcome! Oh, and yes Grembly sees her vet as indicatedand is in good health. No concerns there thankfully.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Since your cat showed interest in wand toys, I'd recommend buying several so you can rotate through -- I like to keep a toy out for a few days of play, then put it away for 2 weeks to a month, so in their eyes it's like new again. Alternatively, you might want to look into something like Da Bird or Neko Flies, where you buy a single wand and many attachments, which generally works out cheaper and a lot more efficient for space.

My cats also adore toys with Matatabi/Silvervine in them, candy wrappers, tinfoil, cut up used TP rolls, etc. Sometimes, with cats, the simpler and cheaper the better!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats can be oddballs and be atypical of the breed.

You don't need to spend tons of money on toys. Most cats ignore them. Sometimes the most fun toys are things you already have in the home. Anything box like (empty shipping boxes, storage container, laundry basket, etc), empty toilet paper tubes, milk / bottle caps, a wad of paper, etc.

BlackCatWithSocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's something different... I know you said toys but these are still entertaining for cats and owners, as we watch them solve the puzzles for treats.
8BAD50BB-BB22-4F24-B8AB-C03FEE2FD745.jpeg 9B5CFC7B-AB95-43D1-8D18-696BF4B32CCC.jpeg 97A14FB1-56E7-4B84-98C1-ED3178A28684.jpeg

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The pet fit for life wand toy is another wand toy with different attachments. It's got feathers, fuzzy tails, etc. Changing out the attachment might help.