Taking Oliver in For Allergy’s

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im taking my 4 year old Oliver indoor male persian to the vet on friday for allergys...

He shakes his head a lot and he scratches and grooms himself a lot, he does not inflict self harm or exibit hair loss or scabs...He throws up frequent hairballs from all the grooming...

I always believed it to be food allergys since its year round..

What might the vet do for me? I want to get him on royal canin hydrolyzed protein + urinary food and its the primary reason im taking him in...Hes currently been on royal canin urinary then swiched to gastrointestinal cause he regurgitates a lot prior and well other things too.....

Should I refuse corticosteroids? I planned to refuse this if offered, suggestions? I feel like im wasting my money taking him in

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of our members have dealt with this very issue. Maybe they can offer some help here. F FeralHearts ?
I think that working along with a good vet can be very beneficial. Keeping track of food ingredients and doing food trials can certainly be a useful tool. I have found that air quality was affecting my kitties. It isn’t the only issue but Air purification has improved things.
I hope Oliver improves quickly!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here are a couple of posts that might help with info;

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Steroids will provide some temporary relief. Instead of prescription food sensitivity foods, you can give commercial limited ingredient novel protein cat foods a try. You don't need the vet's approval to feed a commercial LID diet instead of prescription food. Canned is preferred over dry because dry can still contain ingredients that may trigger itchiness and such. Don't forget about the treats. A single ingredient treat in a novel protein, such as freeze dried 100% meat treats like the PureBites brand, are best. Whatever brand of food you decide to feed, give it at least 13 weeks or so to see if it's working for your cat (Per My Vet: How Long For Food Allergies Test)

Here's a TCS thread on hydrolyzed prescription diets:

Vomiting can be any number of things. Daily vomit is not normal. You should discuss it with the vet. Somteimes a simple change like elevating the food bowl or using a slow feeder can be helpful. IBD and other gastrointestinal issues can also cause daily vomiting.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He doesnt daily vomit, he hardly regurgitates now, he does hairballs sometimes far and few between and sometimes a bunch

Ibd was mentioned for both my cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time

from LTS3 LTS3
Another good web site with info

www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org

Feline IBD
Address the root cause of IBD in your cat. Treat inflammation and gut dysbiosis with proper tools to restore health, not just manage symptoms.
www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org

Some veterinary articles:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.864.4840&rep=rep1&type=pdf

https://www.winnfelinefoundation.or...-inflammatory-bowel-disease-2015.pdf?sfvrsn=0

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4300/4d42e5a0b1e0543a36221e7f1fa3d991d0ff.pdf

Many IBD cats have super sensitive tummies and certain ingredients can trigger a flare up. Bland-ish LID type foods seem to help many. Some people choose to feed raw or home cooked diets.

Long term use of steroids such as pred can cause diabetes in cats. A low carb diet, what diabetic cats eat, may not be enough to keep the full disease from happening in an IBD cat.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took him in 2 days ago, he had a urinalysis and a steroid shot to last two weeks...She wanted to keep him on the same food and get steroids in low doses, said its fine for the rest of his life?

I said i want to try the hydrolyzed and see if it helps so thats what I ordered with no SO formula since his pee was perfectly good

He seems more hungry, steroid effects

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Couple days later after the two week steroid injection and Oliver does not groom much anymore, he was constantly grooming before and now he just chills out like a normal cat...He still shakes his head sometimes....He also does not scratch much...

Food allergy? Environmental? I ordered the hydrolyzed protein food from royal canin..Definetly positive effect from the roids