Taking off work to care for a cat...

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so irritated at the moment. I went home early to care for my cat. My husband called me on his way out the door to tell me our cat Atticus was ill and throwing up clear liquid all over the place. (He was on the way to give an important presentation at work so he couldn’t stay) I only work a couple minutes away, so I had another manager come in and cover me and I rushed home to check on Atticus. I took him to the vet and he has an obstruction. The vet wanted to do an endoscopy because it looks like it’s in the upper digestive tract. He said I should be able to take Atticus home the same day, just have to wait for him to come out of anesthesia. So, I texted my boss and he said, “Are you coming back once he is stable?” I said, “He's got an endoscopy to get rid of a blockage and he has to be watched while he is coming out of the anesthesia and then I am taking him home in an hour or so. It's important to make sure he is ok. Cats don't do anesthesia well sometimes. Don't be mad. I would be there if I could.” He said, “Sorry its 4 callouts today. I will need you.”
I don’t understand what he doesn’t understand about me having to care for Atticus? My shift was only until 2pm today anyway. I don’t think he’d be saying that if it was someone’s child that just had an endoscopy done. Should I ignore what he said and just stay and care for Atticus or should I respond to it and stay home and care for Atticus? Either way I’m staying to care for the cat. (Picture of Atticus for cat tax)

Attachments

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just stay home and care for atticus get into work once your able to he has a boss to answer to also he probably is frustrated to with four call outs means he probably is gonna have to cover all those hours that aside best wishes and hopes that atticus is okay

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always gone home if it's something cat related but I didn't always give cat as a reason. However, the people I work for are very understanding and no one has ever given me a hassle about it. I hope you stayed with Atticus, our kitties need us the same way someone's child would need them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This could be a gray area and depending on where you work and what type of rules they have you may or may not be able to take time for this. Could you be fired or disciplined?

I worked in a profession where there were specific rules for taking time off, but any emergency was usually okay and fell under some sort of personal necessity. You were still docked the time but you could tell the truth about why you wanted the time off.

I am not sure what to tell you in this case, but for the next time I agree that it is not an animal related emergency.....use something else and try to skirt the issue.

Hopefully Atticus (great name) will recover and be back to his normal self very soon.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you don't think they would seriously discipline you, I would stay with the cat. If something had happened after going back to work, you would have felt terrible.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have the capability to work from home, offer that once Atticus is settled. It's not your fault that there are 3 other callouts. There is always a "bottom line" with capacity at any job, but if you normally show up and are productive in your role, one instance of emergency time should not impact your employment. I know you're irritated with your bosses response but try not to show that in your response.

I think you should reply with something like "oh no! I know that's going to put pressure on you and [whatever colleagues are in] but there's just no way I can come in today. I can [work from home / make up hours on another day] but no one else can care for the cat and I have no option but to stay at home. I know you'll understand" and then just leave it at that.

If you think there's a risk to your job, review your contract, focus on "compassionate leave" sections that apply and bring them up if you're disciplined about it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I always took off work when one of the furkids was sick. I always told my boss why, too. I had to take vacation time or personal time, but that was OK. My co-worker does the same thing when his cat is ill. They're our family and it's what we do.

In fact, when I had my interview for the Planning job, I told my boss right out that I needed to be off on September 20. It was my cat's birthday and it was important. He looked at me and I thought, "Well, I blew this!" But I got the job anyway. And when September rolled around, my boss came into my office and said, "You're gonna be off on the 20th, right?" And I said yes, that I would take a vacation day. He nodded his head and walked back out. And until the Queen B passed away, I was always home with her on her birthday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It ended up ok. I let him know Atticus was doing better last night and apologized for not being able to come back in. He said, “Glad to hear. It was a rough morning.” So they got through it without me and Atticus is doing better. It helps that I never take take off work unless I’m dying. Thanks for all of your responses! (I work as a manager in a restaurant, so it isn’t a life or death issue that I wasn’t there.)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m glad it worked out. Some employers are so much more understanding than others. I wish they would understand that it pays to be flexible!

I’ve had several jobs where I was pretty much the only employee besides the boss. To be honest; I’m glad I didnt have kids then because calling out would not go over well. The state you live in will depend somewhat on how well that goes over and what they can do. Some employers are better than others. DH called out the day Noodles passed because I’d stayed awake with her till the end and the kids were upset. Where I am; they can pretty much make up a reason and get rid of you. So I have had to take that into consideration in giving excuses. :disappointed:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
“Sorry its 4 callouts today. I will need you.”
I'm glad everything ended up working out okay but just wonder if your boss told the other callouts he needed them and what their reply was to him.