Taking my cat on trips

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a couple of weeks, I will be traveling to Lake Tahoe from Salt Lake City by car and I am taking Jake with me. He is all checked by the vet and everything. My question is, what do I do about a litter box? I can't really put it in the pet carrier with the cat. So how would I go about his going to the bathroom? Does he go in the carrier? Also, he cries alot when I put him in the crate. I mean, when I bought it, I put it on the floor with the gate open so that Jake would get familiar with it. But when I put him in there to take him to the vet, he meowed all the way. Please help.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nena,

My friend Rene whose cat Milo is quite large (not fat) goes into a crate (a large carrier) when we travel to cat shows. She puts one of those small disposable cat boxes in with him. She's never had a problem. You might want to try that. Good luck!

bubbas mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgive me but I have no idea about geography ( I live in Canada so American Georgraphy blows my mind) but how long of a trip is that? I take my cats for drives of over 6 or 7 hours and they do just fine without a litter pan. Although when scrappy was only a few months old, he couldn't quite hold it (he started meowing and pacing) so I stopped and took him out on a leash and dumped a bit of litter in a small pan (I planned ahead just incase) and he had no problem using that.

frannie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I traveled cross country with my cats. Here's a suggestion, but an airline approved dog crate and put a small litter box in it. I use them when I travel to shows. I got my small litter pan from K-Mart or WalMart. Have fun. I just got back from Kanab, Utah and had a blast.

Frannie