Taking kitty to a groomer for the first time...

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friend who works there offered to pick him up and drop him off. My question is, would it be better for me to be there or for me to not be there?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you being there might comfort him and keep his stress down having someone there that he loves 

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The groomer may or may not want you there. I groom cats at people's homes.  Owners are welcome to stay about six feet away. The reason I ask them to stay a few feet away is that sometimes a cat will try to leap from the table or from the sink, and the owner will instinctively try to grab the cat. I've watched owners get bitten that way, because when a cat is excited, they don't necessarily know who they're biting or scratching. I've been bitten when an owner blocked the cat's escape route, forcing the cat to try to climb over my body. Fun for all:)

Some cats really don't mind being groomed, so it may not turn out to be a big deal for your cat. 

Good luck either way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So apparently the guardians are not allowed there because it causes the cats to be more tense and confused, and they could get upset with the guardian when they return home. But when they get back home to the guardian after being away in a weird place they are much happier. They're calmer when they're in a strange place by themselves than in a strange place with the guardian there. 

I'm so excited for him to be groomed. He got his first mat a little while ago and would barely even let me touch it, and so while I was saving up to take him to the groomer he got about 10 more. -.- Poor thing. 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about to take my long haired kitty to the groomer too. I haven't ever had her fully bathed/groomed but i did have a sanitary shave done last Winter. She's 2 and a half.

I had a terrible experience as the groomer was very rough with her. She even grabbed her by her tail to stop her from jumping off the table.

This new place is a vet clinic and groomer in one building. They require me to provide her rabies vaccination as well. They also don't allow me to be nearby which frankly scares me to death b/c of my previous experience.