Taking in a TNR

karleigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum!!! I’ve been feeding a TNR cat for the past year now and she has suddenly warmed up to me. I can now pet her, and she stays in my yard for hours until I come out. These past few weeks, several stray/alley cats have been showing up and seem to be staying in this alley. She, however, doesn’t like any of them other than the only other female (who I believe is pregnant). She has been getting attacked, provoked, and males follow her everywhere. I think she looks at my home as a safe space since I let her indoors, but she never gets too far inside. She’s a technical feral cat since she was raised in the alley, but she loves humans! I’m not sure what to do. Is it bad to take a TNR cat in and rescue it, even though it’s meant to stay outside? Please help! She’s like my baby.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
but she loves humans! I’m not sure what to do. Is it bad to take a TNR cat in and rescue it, even though it’s meant to stay outside? Please help! She’s like my baby.
:hellosmiley: karleigh and welcome to TCS!

To answer your questions, it's a definite yes. Since she's already warmed up to you and have been inside your house and she dislike the other cats and she's like your baby, I say again, yes, pease take her in and never let her out again.

She truly deserves to be inside so that she can live in a warm and fur-ver loving home and and your house will be a safe sanctuary for her to live out her life.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Karleigh! I agree with tabbytom 100%! I speak from past experience, as at least 1/2 of my current 12, were once outside ferals. The others (all but 1) were shelter cats, some of which were on death row because they thought they were not adoptable.
In my opinion (and it is just from my own experience of being a home owner, shelter volunteer, and cat rescue volunteer), ALL ferals want to be inside kitties. They just don't know it yet. They grew up distrusting most humans and being afraid of so much that can harm them. But every one of mine that were brought in? Live happy lives and only 1 of them will now get anywhere near the door when it opens. The rest seem afraid if they get too close I'm going to toss them back.:lol:
Just remember ferals will take longer to trust. I've had ones that immediately come up and I can take inside after feeding a while outside. And I've had ones I've fed for at least a year, took in (I was moving far away and he'd become dependent) and still took about 3 whole months of constant and regular going to him in his quite space to come out of his shell fully. But let me tell you, when they do learn to trust you? There is NO better love, than that of a feral.
You might have to be tricky to get/keep her in. But it sounds like this would be best for her with all the fighting. And in case she's not fixed, preferably before she becomes a momma.
You might also look around for any cat rescues that can help with TNR (Trap Neuter Release), unless you can do it alone. For the cats there? That way the small problem does not become a huge one. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I only work with strays and ferals and have done this many time. This cat has moved from the category of feral, which is not unusual especially since you have helped her and worked with her over time, and is ready to be a pet cat. In fact, she is really asking to be your pet. My avatar and her identical sister were born under a house to a very feral mother and both are now entirely indoor pets. They are affectionate and loving and we continually comment that we cannot believe that we just found them.

TNRed or feral only means that a cat was trapped to be fixed and appeared to be living on the streets independently. Some are probably abandoned pets and some are inclined to be friendly to humans. Some are not, but you know that as they are usually very overtly unfriendly and self protective. Right now I have 6 who gladly handed in their feral card when I gave them a chance.