Taking Care Of Runt And Other Needed Info

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you weighing him every day? Is he gaining any weight at all??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am finally getting a scale tomorrow. (Been hard to get to a store where I live) tomorrow I will post how much he weighs and keep track. He's still the size he was when he was born, though

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is truly not gaining weight, you need to step up how much you are supplementing him and assume he’s not getting any milk from mom. Feed him every hour for now, around the clock.

Which kmr are you using?

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's definitely getting at least some milk from momma. He nurses. I have to sit and help him though because his siblings are so much bigger than him that they push him out of the way

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seeing him on the nipple does not mean he is getting milk. A kitten who is getting enough milk grows each day. You should be extremely concerned, and you should supplement more.

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am already concerned. He's been touch and go for a while. I give him kmr at least every two hours.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree! He is not getting enough milk to grow on. He is only getting enough to sustain. He needs more.

We need a weight so we can tell you precisely the amount to feed, which will increase as he grows.

Is he getting fed through the night?

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't posted in a while. Baby fought hard, but he passed away the other day. In my hands, after a feeding. He was a very loved baby. We're pretty sure there was something else off about him. His head was oddly shaped.. after awhile his eyes closed back up.. and he couldn't really walk. I wish there was more I could have done.

If it means anything, his two siblings are doing very well. They will be a month old in two days.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry about Baby. :alright: RIP sweet boy. :angel3:

I'm glad his siblings are doing well. :catlove:
Please post updated pics of them, if you can. :camera:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you booked mom’s spay appointment yet? You want to aim for two months after delivery.

And you may want to consider rehoming the kittens together. Wait and see how bonded they are. Not sure how old your mom is, but two kittens can actually be less work since they keep each other so busy!

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I'm keeping one. Once the other is old enough hell be going to my mother. She has a few other cats that hellh be able to get along with.
I'll be making the appointment as soon as I am able to. It's been almost a month since she gave birth. Along with getting my males neutered.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you keeping mom 100% away from the intact males? She can get pregnant again at any time.

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So there was an incident where there was a new male cat in my house for just a minute and momma hated that and attacked him (he was my boyfriend's mother's that follower my boyfriend home) we put him back outside with some food after. But, ever since then she has been attacking my male cat (not the father of her kittens) anytime she sees him. He'll just be minding his own business eating, sleeping,or whatever and she'll attack him. She never did that before. She was fine having him around before and he's never shown a threat to the kittens. Honestly he's sweeter with the kittens then the father is. I've been trying to keep them separated but it's hard with the way my place is layout.

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: she attacked him v while he was in me and got my face instead. I don't know what her problem is. She never cared about my cat being around in the first month of her kittens lives .

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should take mom to the vet. She may be in pain.

Are your males neutered now?