Taking Care Of Runt And Other Needed Info

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my Cat, Nico, had her first (and hopefully only. We're going to get her fixed) litter of kittens. She's very trusting of my boyfriend and I and let's us help out. I'll go in to check up and she'll leave me to babysit. But a day or two after they were born I noticed the runt. This is the one I've decided to keep from the litter. His name for the moment is Baby.
Baby was laying there with his mouth open and wasn't moving. I was able to get some formula and feed him myself in time and that's what I've been doing since .
The kittens are now a 8 days old. The mother let's us feed the baby and check in whenever. But sometimes I see her laying on the kittens. These kittens will be screaming underneath her and she'll just lay there. It scares me especially when she's on Baby. Any idea why she would be doing that?
Also, Baby crawls away from his mother a lot. He's usually screaming and crying as he does this. And his head is just bending backwards some and he crawls around aimlessly . Nico doesn't seem to care too much what he's doing. Why doesn't she care? And why does he crawls away? He even does it if I move him back to her.
Sometimes I see Baby trying to latch on to her, but I don't think he's successful too often. So I'm still feeding him with a little syringe. I've tried a bottle but he doesn't like latching on to it either.
I just want to keep Baby, and his siblings, alive. Please, if anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very good you are supplement feeding him. This is the trick here. Its perhaps so, he is a weak suckler, so he doesnt get much from momma. So momma isnt his food source so to speak. its perhaps why he moves away from her, he senses he needs something more.
And this more will be you.
If he is say, 90 grammes now, he will need about 25 ml of kmr or goats milk every day. Say you give it every two hours, gives a little over 2 ml every time, x 12... If he wants more give him more.

This is one of the reasons you shall weigh him every day - to see how much he shall get, and to see how much he is adding - are you doing OK or if you must try with something more.

Momma is always nice if she has, so, dont worry he wont take from momma because he is satisfied by you. He will nurse on momma anyway, if he can.

What kmr do you use? Raw goats milk is very good. Among kmr the brand of KMR in Powder, made by PetAg is best.
But their premade liquid KMR isnt that good... Hartz is uneven, too.
Most other brands are OK to use.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, how much does the kitten weigh, and how much and how often are you feeding him?

Are you using PetAg powdered formula?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea how much Baby weighs and I have nothing to weigh him at the moment. I'll try to attach a picture of him compared to his siblings if that helps .
Yes I'm using the PetAg milk replacer plus formula for him.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can perhaps borrow a scale from a neighbor or friend?

Best in grammes.

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no way to get a scale for the moment being, maybe in the next week I can get to a store to get one. I'm trying my best for him but I just have no way of getting a scale for right now :(

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I usually feed him when he cries. The last two days he's been trying hard to latch on to his mumma. Im not sure how well he does but he doesn't cry as often anymore so I assume he gets some. I usually feed him a few teaspoons or so of the formula. I try my best, but I'm no expert. So I apologize if I'm doing anything wrong .

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are doing OK. But having a good scale would lessen up your burden, making the guesswork easier. You would simply KNOW what is played. As now, you must take teh tune entirely by the ear.
Experienced resuers do so, they even dont bother to weigh. Alike experienced cooks and musicians.
But for a newbe a scale is gold worth.

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will be getting a scale as soon as I can. but for right now he doesn't seem to want to take the formula. I don't know what changed. I think I saw him nursing a few times but it's hard to tell with him. He always seems to be just shoving his face into his momma. So maybe he's too full to take the formula. Earlier when I tried I swear I saw his head shaking. But maybe I'm just paranoid? I get him to take a little bit of formula. Only about half a teaspoon or so. But I don't know why he won't take it as much as the other day

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So either he is feeding and growing and all is well

Or he isnt eating, detoriating and falling of weigh rapidly...

You can smear some water with honey on his lips and gum. So you will see. It gives quick energy.
If he is full of food it wont be much difference.
But if he is starving and weak he will noticeably perk up a good while. If so try to give the kmr.

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so worried about him. He hasn't been as active, he doesn't perk up as much, and he doesn't like to be fed by hand. Should I be making him eat? I can not for the life of me figure out if he's getting any from his momma or not . I'm getting a scale later today to help out. I'm so scared. I'm already so attached to him. He's so tiny and fragile. He seems to be keeping warm, though. What else can I do to help? How can I tell if he's latching on better? Also I do swear his head shakes like it's almost vibrated when I try to feed him?? It scares me too. I don't want to lose my baby. :(

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He just lays here in my hand. He made a groaning noise of sorts . But very little movement. Someone please help. Google is failing my attempts to figure out what to do .

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It doesnt sound any good. He seems to going down.
Its only pedialyte or honey water now. this doesnt need to be digested but will buy you some time.

Kmr will just rotten inside when the digestion has stopped.

Im sorry. K Kittygoesmew

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Massage him talk friendly comfort him and pray.

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's sure a fighter, then. I got him to willingly eat and I think he is nursing right now .but its really hard to tell with him and his momma cause of all the fur. I am getting a scale today, as I said. He wants to live as much as I want him to, I believe. It's nice to hear him cry now. At least I know he's trying .and momma is still giving him love. Still licking him often

Kittygoesmew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baby has been eating. I've been feeding him every couple hours and he's been nursing some as well. He's now 11 days old but still the size of a new born. When will he start gaining weight? (Assuming that he gets enough to make it)