Taking care of premature kitten and cat currently in labor?

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
This semiferal socialized cat that spends nights in my gararge mated back in August and is now going into labor I believe. She had a stomach (not a huge one) Her nipples yesterday weren’t showing all the way and there was still fur around. After i got off work i kinda noticed her stomach ‘fell down’. Not sure as i briefly saw her today.

She went in my closet about an hour ago (4pm) and i hear a kitten cry.

It’s been about 2 hours and the mother still hasn’t moved from this place and I only see one kitten and she looks really small compared to other newborns i saw outside. My mom feared she’d have them inside so Im going to have to move her and the kitten to the shack where it’ll be warmer. I’ll wash the place with a natural bug repellent to make sure no mosquitoes come by to bite, leave food water, and ill place them in a portable pet house i bought. I believe she’s still in labor and i know I shouldn’t bother her, and im aware that premature kittens are unlikely to survive so I just needed to come on here and ask for help on what do to help the mom and the kittens to make it through. Thank you 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
the mom is still there, hasn't moved from that one spot. And everytime I go and see she purrs and meows. Kitten is still alive and crying when she's not near the mom's belly. I'm going to move them to my garage into this portable pet house. Thank you for the resource :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how things progress, and if that baby hasn't eaten/isn't able to latch on, you could rub a little bit, just a drop of honey or caro syrup on its gums, slightly thinned with warm water to help it.

Last edited:

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you
I have moved the mom and kitten to the garage, she took her kitten back to the same spot but i moved her back to the garage where its warmer. The mother's ears were cold to and she's meowing at the door trying to get in. I already put a pethouse and a clothes basket w/ towels but she's still trying to come in :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there! Is the baby still cold? Try a heating pad set on low and covered with a couple of towels so it is a very gentle heat. Or, if mama won't stay with the baby you could fill a sock with dry rice, microwave that, cover it with a thin towel and let baby snuggle with it.

Speaking of, you may need to feed the kitten if it hasn't latched previously and now mama won't stay still so it can nurse.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This semiferal socialized cat that spends nights in my gararge mated back in August and is now going into labor I believe. She had a stomach (not a huge one) Her nipples yesterday weren’t showing all the way and there was still fur around. After i got off work i kinda noticed her stomach ‘fell down’. Not sure as i briefly saw her today.

She went in my closet about an hour ago (4pm) and i hear a kitten cry.

It’s been about 2 hours and the mother still hasn’t moved from this place and I only see one kitten and she looks really small compared to other newborns i saw outside. My mom feared she’d have them inside so Im going to have to move her and the kitten to the shack where it’ll be warmer. I’ll wash the place with a natural bug repellent to make sure no mosquitoes come by to bite, leave food water, and ill place them in a portable pet house i bought. I believe she’s still in labor and i know I shouldn’t bother her, and im aware that premature kittens are unlikely to survive so I just needed to come on here and ask for help on what do to help the mom and the kittens to make it through. Thank you 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
If a premature isnt too much premature, and not extremely small, they often DO survive. But the rescuer / caretaker / owner must usually work vigorously for it. It will need warmth - an IR-lamp is often useful.
It will prob need handfeeding - its perhaps to weak to nurse succesfully from momma. And if premature, momma perhaps hasnt no milk as yet.

IF the momma takes care of the washing, warming, company, it becomes much easier.

I hope momma is OK with cooperating with you. Even shy semiferales are surprising often willing to cooperate, if they understand you are friendly and just wants to help...

Raw goats milk is very good. Otherwise, a goat milk based kmr is good. Pet Ag´s KMR in powder is good too.

Use a dropper or a little syringe. a little tricky in the beginning, but often very effective. There is something called for miracle nipple, you can have it on either bottle or even on the syringe.

Do weigh every day, so you know exactly the situation and the development.

so, it is lotsa of work to do, even with a cooperating momma, but it can be done.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the kitten nursing? Is so, all should be well.

What I’m not understanding is why the mom and kitten cannot stay in your closet for now. Poor mama cat has indicated where she wants to be, which is near you. She’s not feral if you can handle her; she’s just stray, and needs spaying eventually.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok this is how the kitten looks like, I put them outside in the pethouse as my parents didn’t want the cat crying in the garage. She brought it inside and put her back in the spot where she had it (my closet) but not after walking around carrying it. I feel like she has been neglecting it in a way because it won’t nurse off of her and when I hold the kitten to her nipple, it starts sucking but the mom just rolls around purring like she doesn’t realize that she’s gotta feed it. She leaves the kitten where its at crying asking for my attention and petting, I already gave her food and water last night and this morning. The kitten’s temperature seems really low so i put a small heater nearby so it gets warmth. I’d truly appreciate it if you can recommend me products that I can buy to help feed the kitten and take better care for it, and if it doesn’t make it, then I’ll be ready for next time

Attachments

EB2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As soon as this baby is warm I would do my best to hold the mother in place and allow it to nurse. Talk to her, pet her, and hold her still if at all possible so this little one can get the crucial colostrum. You will have to do this until her instincts kick in. If you cant get mom to settle down then you might be bottle feeding and stimulating from here on, but try to get it colostrum. The kitten doesnt look to be fully furred and so might be premature, but sounds like its far enough along to latch. If mom wont lay with it to keep warm you will need a contact heat source such as heat pad etc. Get milk replacer asap as you may be mom for awhile.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
yes I ordered some a nursing kit, milk replacement, and a hideaway bed from Petco and i should go pick it up soon. But right now the kitten is asleep in another corner in my house and I put the heater near it. The mom just ate for the 2nd time today but she's walking around meowing and wanting my attention. She purrs and gives some attention to the kitten, but I worry that she's in pain or that she's still having more kittens soon as she still appears to have a stomach. Thank y'all so much for the feedback so far :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may need to syringe feed this kitten if it will not take the bottle. Here is Kitten Lady demonstrating syringe feeding:

Please get started right away!

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Blankets and towels aren't the best for keeping cats warm, they can actually leech heat from their bodies, especially outside or in a garage. Straw is the best (not hay) but I don't know how good that would be with newborn kittens. Try a heating pad on low if you can. Good luck! Thanks for caring for them.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
ok so I bought the bottle, milk replacement formula, and a cat bed. I tried feeding it, and it shows interest in it, I'm pretty sure it downed a couple gulps of it (2 to 4). I can't use the heater much as my mom gets mad and wont understand so I ordered a heating pad. The mom insists on the kitten being in a corner underneath the chair so I have to find a way to make her understand that it's much warmer outside but she already brought her back in. She's so confusing b/c she puts the baby in there, and then walks around meowing for my attention (again, i dont know if she's in pain or something, I already gave her some wet food). I called SPCA and made an appointment to pick up the kitten at 2pm tmrw, but I might cancel in case things get better. What are some symptoms that the kitten should be ok, or if its dying?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try the syringe method. You have complete control over how much the kitten gets. You do not necessarily need a nipple on the end of the syringe. You feed tummy down, head up, a tiny bit at a time in the side of the mouth, allowing the kitten to swallow in between. With newborns, they need 1-2 mLs every 2 hours. A crying kitten is usually a hungry kitten.

You can heat a sock filled with dry rice in the microwave for 5 minutes, wrap it in a towel, and place it near the kitten for warmth. It will hold for a couple of hours before needing heat again.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
Before i left work, I made sure i gave the kitten the formula for the 3rd time, and it did seem to gulp some in. I know that I am supposed to feed them every hour but before I left for work I fed it every 30 mins. So i left mom and the kitten there with the heater on, the mom was still trying to get my attention meowing and following me. I came home 3 hours later and unfortunately the kitten seems to have passed away :( Im really sorry guys I did what I could, I had plan b to take the kitten to Houston SPCA at 2pm tomorrow but I guess this is the reality of nature. I will now bury her and leave a flower where she'll rest. Thank you guys again for the feedback, I truly truly appreciate it. I am usually on here on the feral cat, cat health, and other forums asking for advice as I try to maintain a healthy feral cat environment in my backyard.
Again thank you so much :)
- Uriel M