Taking Care Of My Spayed Outdoor Cat?

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had a cat spayed earlier today, she was a sibling of the other 2 cats i mentioned in the other thread that caught panleukopenia.

I had her spayed because she's an outdoor cat like the others, and becaused I noticed last time the males here were circling her already, she's only 6 months old, and they discovered she was actually pregnant, friggin unbelievable. I didn't knew that females got sexually mature earlier than males. :(

I wasn't able to get her spayed immediately because my priority was getting her vaccinated first, then the vet told me to wait another 2 weeks after the vaccination before getting her spayed.

She's not actually completely feral, she responds when I call her, you can't carry and cuddle her but you can at least pet her- that's at least with me, with other people they are still frisky and scared,

But I think she distrusts me now, because I betrayed her trust when I tried to cage her multiple times last night and today, last night because she had to for fast for the operation, but she managed to escape the cage. Then when I caught her again earlier this morning she escaped again. The darn wire cage we bought was soft and flimsy and the wires bend easily. I only discovered that when she escaped the second time, she actually managed to fit herself between the wires. We fixed the caged but trying to cage her again for the third time was a real pain, she was running away already when I tried to approach her. She knew my intentions, and she didn't really wanna be caged.

But thank heavens for patience and may be pavlovian tendencies with they learn when you bring out the cup of Whiskas, I was quicker and got her in the cage. But I think she hates me and distrusts me now.

Which leads me to another problem, the vet prescribed antibiotics for seven days, so that means I have to cage her for seven days, because there is no way now I can give her the medication anymore while she's roaming free. I thought and with the research I did, it will only take a couple or 3 days of containment to allow the incision to heal and they can be released again.

But seven days. :(

And Even with the sedative still in effect, she was already trying to escape after we got home. She looks really stressed out, and when she's stressed out, I'm stressed out. :(

I would really like to know how you guys take care of your outdoor/stray/feral cats after getting spaying surgery, and how you get them to calm down while still contained. And how long you keep them contained?

Thanks for listening, and for the advice you will give.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I even tried putting a cone of shame on her, but she got even more frisky, and she was rolling and tumbling in the cage, I was afraid the stitches might get pulled apart, so I removed it again.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have never used a cone. When I get the outdoor cats spayed, the vet vaccinates and gives them an injection of antibiotics that lasts a week. For the ones that show up daily to eat, I just give the dose then in a SMALL amount of tuna juice then feed them when they eat that. For the semi feral that don't get the injection, I know you are supposed to give the oral twice a day, but my vet said to give it once a day if that is all they show up for ten days instead of seven. I wouldn't stress her out so much. Semi ferals are a little different to treat then inside cats. I would release her once teh sedative wears off. It's great to keep them confined for at a minmum of three days, a week if possible. But stress hurts healing, so most I let go the next day. You can really calm them down by providing something for them to hide in or covering the cage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's all fine now, a week later, we survived, I released her again earlier today, after a week of medication, and her wound was dry already, she still has her street smarts too intact.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update, so good to hear! My little stray is doing well too, after her spay surgery, now I pray I can find her a good home.