Taking care of kittens - help

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may need a round of metronidazole. Good you’re getting her to the vet soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may need a round of metronidazole. Good you’re getting her to the vet soon.
Do you think she’ll be okay until Monday? I mean she seems perfectly fine otherwise, I don’t want to wait if it’s DIRE but I also know that my work schedule this weekend doesn’t really permit me taking her, and I’ve already used a lot of time on the cats and am running out of time off to use. 😢

Again, new to this kitten thing so I don’t want to do anything that’ll hurt her, but life is also super busy and I’m trying to do the best I can.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Waiting until Monday should be fine.

Metronidazole kills parasites and fights bacterial infection, but it is strong and be aware that she may have diarrhea and low appetite and feel puny while taking it.

If possible, bring a fresh stool sample to the vet in a baggie when you go. So if she poops at night and you have a morning appointment, you can refrigerate the sample overnight. The vet will want to run a fecal and look under the microscope to see what may be going on.

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to make a happy post since it seems like I’m always stressed and complaining:

I picked Bean up off the street about 4 months ago (in the pouring rain), and then just over 3 months ago, she surprised us and popped out 4 kittens. Even though we lost a kitten and the whole ordeal has been a lot more than we bargained for…

I’m SO happy I took her in and she had her kittens with us. She’s such a good mom and such a loveable cat, and I’m happy we gave her and the kittens a safe home. Her and Lucy have an amazing bond and I’m even happier that we got to keep them together! I get updates from the other kittens adopted parents almost daily, and they are both spoiled and thriving.

So… expensive vet bills, surprise birth on the couch, worms worms worms, lots of messes and stress and some sadness…has all been very very worth it. 😊 ❤

Attachments

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our kids are doing pretty well!

I’m waiting on stool results for Lucy. She’s been normal again, but last week she wasn’t so… just waiting for results. She got her rabies and last of her vaccines yesterday! Next up is spaying in September!

Random questions -

1. When do appetites typically calm down in kittens? She’s 14 weeks today and eats a full 3 oz can of wet food 3 times a day (so 9 oz total, plus whatever she scavenges from the adults). She isn’t interested in dry at all.

2. Is it worth leash training her? I never plan on letting her go outdoors without a leash, but she is always interested when the doors are open and I’d rather get her used to going occasionally out on a leash than trying to run out. Now that she’s all vaccinated, I would feel much better about starting the process.

Pic of her and mom attached 😊 .

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their appetites wane when they're approaching adulthood and their growth slows at somewhere around one year of age, although some growth can continue for up to three or four years (I have a three year-old girl that's still having little growth spurts). I know it's expensive, but keep feeding her for now.

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wonderful girls are driving me insane

Lucy, the kitten - is having diarrhea. I’ve tried changing foods, I did get their stool checked for parasites (negative), etc.. Litter boxes (we have 3) are cleaned once or twice a day.

Lucy seems perfectly healthy other than the diarrhea, but she is constantly a mess from either walking in it/getting it on herself when trying to cover it. We’ve had to wash our duvet 4 times this week from her paws. She got her first real bath today because her whole backside of her legs were COVERED in poo.

My gut is telling me it’s a parasite thing - remember, her mom had roundworms and the vet only prescribed the one time treatment for the other cats - but her stool had been negative before. I’m going to take it again on Monday for send out if I can get a fresher sample, but…

If that is negative again, what are next steps? What else can we have them do (blood tests?)? We don’t want her hurting or any major issues overlooked. Again, don’t think it’s food because she’s been on the same food for a while with no issues (It was the first one she stopped having issues with as a younger kitten).

(My Lucy and her mom Bean for reference)

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like your cat may benefit from a round of metronidazole. This treats parasites as well as bacterial infection. It is not uncommon for parasites not to show up in a stool sample, and she may have intestinal bacterial infection that would not show up either.

Ask the vet for metronidazole and consider adding probiotic powder to her wet food to help her overall gut health.

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your cat may benefit from a round of metronidazole. This treats parasites as well as bacterial infection. It is not uncommon for parasites not to show up in a stool sample, and she may have intestinal bacterial infection that would not show up either.

Ask the vet for metronidazole and consider adding probiotic powder to her wet food to help her overall gut health.
So Lucy went to the vet today and we sent out another stool sample.

The vet gave her a dose of Centragard as a precautionary thing before the results are back, plus prescription probiotics (liquid and capsule) PLUS some Hills Digestive Care prescription food.

Does this seem like a reasonable course of action? I guess additional concerns will be addressed depending on her stool sample results

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It seems reasonable, but often certain parasites do not show in a stool sample, so even if the stool comes back clear of parasites, metronidazole may help internal bacterial infection.

When do you expect to hear back?

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, if mom isn’t kicking a Lu
It seems reasonable, but often certain parasites do not show in a stool sample, so even if the stool comes back clear of parasites, metronidazole may help internal bacterial infection.

When do you expect to hear back?
I’ll keep that in mind! Now her stool seems okay-ish again (soft but not diarrhea) so the back and forth really confuses me lol.

Now mom cat Bean is being a little pathetic and cuddly (which is how she was acting before she vomited up the spaghetti pile of worms), and now one of the adults have diarrhea (not sure if it’s Mom cat Bean or our other adult, Elsa).

I expect to hear back today or tomorrow at the latest. I think last time they were back with a response within 24 hours.

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, if mom isn’t kicking a Lu

I’ll keep that in mind! Now her stool seems okay-ish again (soft but not diarrhea) so the back and forth really confuses me lol.

Now mom cat Bean is being a little pathetic and cuddly (which is how she was acting before she vomited up the spaghetti pile of worms), and now one of the adults have diarrhea (not sure if it’s Mom cat Bean or our other adult, Elsa).

I expect to hear back today or tomorrow at the latest. I think last time they were back with a response within 24 hours.
UPDATE: they said the fecal was negative and if she doesn’t improve in 24 hours (with the new food and probiotic), they would consider an antibiotic.

The issue is… she seems better already but the adults now seem sick 😭 I can’t win.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ask the vet for meds for the other cats. It may be a tummy bug going around and will work it’s way through in a few days. Do any of them go outside?

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet for meds for the other cats. It may be a tummy bug going around and will work it’s way through in a few days. Do any of them go outside?
I wondered if it was a stomach bug but then what are the chances of that being a reoccurring thing? This same thing happened last month but went away. Since then, I did do a deep clean/bleach of their boxes twice. I will be doing my best to get all cats treated.

Since we took Bean (mom) inside in March, none of the cats have been outside. We keep them strictly indoors. I’m sure Bean had whatever worms or parasites she initially had from her months/years/who knows how long outside before we caught her.

Attachments

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update:
Our little chaos kitten, Lucy, is growing well and we are looking forward to our first Christmas with her!

Her littermates are also doing great in their families.

Attachments