Taking an Indoor cat Outisde?

silverstartbs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if this is the correct place to put this, but...

When I got Baby, I toyed with the idea of having her leash trained so I could take her outside. My mom and I had a bit of a laugh at it, but when I got serious about it, she said that if Baby were to go outside, the minute we open the front door she'd rush to it and try to get out. Could that happen?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you leash train her she will associate the leash with going outside. You shouldn't have a problem with her bolting once she learns that leash=outside. You may have some hiccups in the very beginning until the idea of leash goes on so she gets to go outside sinks in.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all go outside and none of them rush the door. This is because they associate their harnesses with going outside (Carrot starts purring the moment I get his out). Also, I don't let them walk out the door when on their harness. I carry them outside and set them down once we're out. They are allowed to walk back in through the door, but not out. (I read somewhere that this teaches them not to go out of the door without their harness.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silverstartbs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I told my mom this, and she said I could get her a harness! I have to wait to take her outside, as it's winter over here, but I can still save up and get her use to it :)

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have a cat harness called come with me kitty one for my fat one one for my normal sized one but both can wiggle their arms out now. i like that one ^. tried a chiuaha one first it didn't
fit choked at the top.