Taking a non tame cat to the vet

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I adopted my cat about 40 days ago. I was going to take her to her veterinarian today for her second FelV, but she went into hiding and running away. So, I have decided not to take her. She already got her second Fvrcp vaccine, rabbies vaccine, and got spayed. It took an hour an 10 minutes to chase and catch her to take her down to her important spay appointment.

I am thinking that maybe within 4-8 months she will become more tame; then, I she could start Felv vaccine again? She was in the feral cat building when i adopted her, so it is going to take a while for me to tame her.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have people come into our vet with a large plastic tote with a towel over the top (and the cat is in there). Might be a good way to "trap" her into going to the vet. Set out a tote or sturdy box, and once she jumps in put a towel over the top. Or if you have a lid that could work too, but make sure she has air holes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have people come into our vet with a large plastic tote with a towel over the top (and the cat is in there). Might be a good way to "trap" her into going to the vet. Set out a tote or sturdy box, and once she jumps in put a towel over the top. Or if you have a lid that could work too, but make sure she has air holes.
Yes, but once a cat becomes tame, then it isn't really necessary to try to trap or chase a cat, no? It is just simple as picking the cat up one time and putting them in a kennel? Or are they some cats that always have to be chased around?

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, but once a cat becomes tame, then it isn't really necessary to try to trap or chase a cat, no? It is just simple as picking the cat up one time and putting them in a kennel? Or are they some cats that always have to be chased around?
There are lots of people that will tell you that if a cat senses they're going to the vet or going into a carrier, they'll run and hide. I have 2 very tame cats who will hide from a carrier and push and fight to not let me put them in the carrier. :rolleyes: My aunt's cat hated being put in the carrier and she had her for 14 years. It just depends. Good luck!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat doesn't have to be tame, it just has to like treats and not be unusually smart. Put the carrier out a couple days before. Toss treats in. Cat goes in, eats treats, you close door. Works for most cats most of the time. You do have to train a cat that when you shake the (mine is) yellow bag and toss something that means treats, but that is very easy with most cats.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't actually need the FeLV vaccine at all unless your cat lives with an FeLV positive cat. A feral cat will have a good level of natural immunity, and almost all FeLV vaccines use adjuvants which cause an inflammatory response that increase the risk for sarcomas. (Note: humans do not have the same response to vaccines-you should get your vaccines, but look into specifics for vaccines when it comes to cats because the benefits and risks are different for each of them).

I wouldn't take her in. Glad she's spayed! Now you can work with her on her timeline. Thank you for making the effort with this cat! This is my favorite socialization guide if you need tips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't take her in. Glad she's spayed! Now you can work with her on her timeline. Thank you for making the effort with this cat! This is my favorite socialization guide if you need tips.
That guide talks about taming a cat by using a cage. Did you use a cage to tame your cat? While it works, it sounds pretty intensive and focused with constraints way to tame a cat.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That guide talks about taming a cat by using a cage. Did you use a cage to tame your cat? While it works, it sounds pretty intensive and focused with constraints way to tame a cat.
Oh yeah I've never done the cage part, just worked with them in the place they felt safe. You don't have to follow it exactly if the cat is progressing differently. There's probably more detail than you need for the average cat, but if you need it, it's all there.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will also say not to bother with the vaccine booster. It is important for a new kitten with its FVRCP vaccine, or an outdoor cat, or one who lives with an FeLV postive cat, but otherwise it isn't.

As for the carrier... I always left them out in the house. I would put blankets in them, cover with with a towel to look like a cozy little den, put food, treats, catnip inside and otherwise ignored them. Then it isn't a big deal to get them inside when it is time to go to the vet. Now I bring a carrier out and they fight to get inside lol.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I adopted my cat about 40 days ago. I was going to take her to her veterinarian today for her second FelV, but she went into hiding and running away. So, I have decided not to take her. She already got her second Fvrcp vaccine, rabbies vaccine, and got spayed. It took an hour an 10 minutes to chase and catch her to take her down to her important spay appointment.

I am thinking that maybe within 4-8 months she will become more tame; then, I she could start Felv vaccine again? She was in the feral cat building when i adopted her, so it is going to take a while for me to tame her.
Sorry, but this will not be an encouraging reply. I got Max from a shelter when she was 3 years old. She was almost impossible to chase down and get her into a carrier. Took hours. Four years later, same routine.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge were semi ferals and didn't like being picked up at first, so taking them to the vet when they were kittens was a struggle. In the end we placed their blanket in the cage with them so they'd have a familiar smell, and put a bowl of treats with it too and that got them in. It's somewhat easier now they're older.