Taken care of, but wanting to know...

samlovesba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What this is!

ignore my dumb face, but look at the puppies stomach.. That was there when we got him, it's totally gone now, but we didn't know what it was.. It healed all on its own! eeeeek!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

Puppy Pyoderma.
and what is puppy pyoderma? what causes it? what heals it?

thanks

PS to OP: cute pic!)

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This skin infection is usually seen in puppies less than one year of age. The areas most often involved are the chin and/or abdomen. Staphylococcus bacteria are usually present and thought to be a main cause of puppy impetigo.

What are the symptoms?

In the dog, impetigo is used to describe small areas of infection found on the hairless area of the abdomen (belly). Small areas filled with pus (pustules) can be seen. Often, these pustules break and form crusts or circular areas of scaling skin.

What are the risks?

Impetigo in puppies seldom creates more than a localized area of infection. It is not life threatening and some mild cases may resolve on their own. Rarely, the infection can spread and become deeper.

What is the management?

Hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine, or benzoyl peroxide applied twice daily will usually clear the condition. Excellent benzoyl peroxide shampoos are available to treat this condition. In severe cases, your veterinarian may prescribe antibiotics, to be given orally or topically. Most puppies outgrow the condition. In Doberman Pinschers, Bulldogs, Boxers, and Chinese Shar-Peis, impetigo may persist into adulthood.
http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1592&aid=878

Usually we send home an antibiotic with the dog and that usually clears it up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samlovesba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well I didn't use any of that stuff to get rid of it.. I just put triple antibiotic cream on it.. hmph.