Tail sucking

Scratchy Bitey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. My 8 mth old kitten sucks her tail. She only ever does it at night or very early morning. She doesn't sleep on our bed but every night during the night at some point she will come to our bed come right up to my face purring loudly and nudges me till I stroke her then when I do she settles down next to me and very loudly sucks her tail. I don't mind her waking me but the tail sucking is so loud and my husband can't stand it. It's wet sucky noises basically. We can't shut her out of our room as she cries and scratches at the door and I wonder if anyone has had any success stopping tail sucking? Bare in mind it's always early hours so I can't distract her by playing etc. We usually end up taking her off the bed and putting her on the floor and repeat that 3 or 4 times before she eventually wanders off. I don't want her till feel like she can't come and get on the bed if she wants it's just the noise 🤭

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would try to give your cat a substitute item to suckle on which might help with the noise factor. A tightly knit blanket, towel, old t-shirt, or other cloth that wouldn't easily be broken/worn down by saliva. They even sell pillows with faux nipples on them for cats who like to suckle. Just take the item you select and wipe her tail with it so she smells her own scent on the item.

Getting her to transfer to another item is a good idea too because you don't want her to injure her tail if this ends up being a long time habit of hers. However, she may grow out of it over time (or she may not). It is comforting to her and it would be best not to try to discourage it if you can find an item that your husband can tolerate any noise caused by the suckling. Worse case scenario if a substitute item doesn't quiet down the noise, get your husband some ear plugs!! ;)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My partner couldn't tolerate the noise of a kitten kneading the blanket on our bed and purring. It was far worse when the cat started cleaning herself. His intolerance drove me crazy. Now that he's growing deaf and the adult cat is no longer quite so noisy and enthusiastic, things are fortunately far more relaxed. I am sure your cat will grow out of it - meanwhile, I hope a substitute - perhaps a baby's soft toy (washable, second hand), will help. If I have an orphaned kitten I always put a soft toy in the kitten's bed. Unfortunately, it may not make much difference to the sucking noise. :disappointed: