Tail sucking and hand biting

Scratchy Bitey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there.
I'm new round here *waves*
I picked up Lola our little black kitten 3 weeks ago. She's a feisty little thing. Alternates between wanting to lounge on your lap for hours at a time or scratch and kill any hand that gets near her (hence my user name 😅)
I have two questions - firstly she's a tail sucker. I understand this is reasonably normal but it's making me question if the person I got her from was actually dishonest and she was younger than 9 weeks when we collected her. The only info I can find is kittens doing it when taken from their mum too early. She has always been really small but surely the vet would have told us if she was too young when she had her jabs last week?
Also as I said she's very feisty and often scratches and bites my hand. Quite hard. How do I discourage this behaviour? I have tried removing her and putting her on the floor. As well as 'crying' each time she does it. And gently blowing in her face if she's close enough. But she is often properly stuck on my hand and removing her just causes much blood 😣

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suckling- Cats do that to soothe themselves. I have had 2 sucklers over my lifetime. Nothing to worry about as long as the tail sucking doesn't cause damage to the tail in the form of sores or hair loss. If you want, try redirecting her to something else to suckle on like a blanket.

Biting- Loudly hiss or say NO! when she does this. She needs to learn proper manners and you are the Momma cat who needs to show her what is right and wrong. Read her signs that she is getting ready to bite and stop it before it happens. Give her a toy to bite if needed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, yes, a soft, fleecy blanket will certainly give her something else besides her tail to nurse. Occasionally, a really determined kitten can nurse their own tail raw. Or, if you have the budget, these little cat pillows have nipples attached, and are made as comfort tools for young orphans.

1600429160533.png

I've always hissed at Hekitty when she is doing something she shouldn't. Stops her every time, even after 13 years, and I like to think I get some street cred for knowing the language!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scratchy Bitey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the hand biting continues. I have bought her a couple of kick toys which she loves and she carries them around like a puppy. I have tried hissing whenever she does it and removing her. She just pounces again and re attaches herself. She doesn't seem bothered by the hissing at all. 😣

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a stern "no" and a time out when she bites ? It's tough getting the message across when they're really young, but a time out should save you some blood loss. You could have a big dog carrier set up with litter box, bedding, food and water for wind-down time.