Tail skin problems

Sunnykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I bought an adult cat from another person about a year ago. When he came to our home, hair on his tail was yellow-grey and greasy. We first thought it's just dirty. He was poorly cared for and had fleas as well. After washing him with an anti-flea shampoo a few times, the fur on his tail did not improve. We brought him to vet. He said it's some kind of dermatitis and gave us a medicated shampoo called Sebamed. We used it on his tail from time to time for a year with little to no improvement. Then we shaved his tail for the greasy contaminated hair to come off. When we shaved his tail, we noticed it has black spots all over it. We washed it with medicated shampoo one more time. He was unconfortable this time, and we noticed some of these black spots are bleeding and red. We brought him to another vet the next day. She inspected his tail and the rest of his fur and said he still has some fleas and it is an allergy on his tail. She gave him cortisone injection and cortisone cream for us to apply on his tail twice per day. We've been doing it for a while now. The red bleeing inflamed spots are gone, but the black spots are still in place, and the cream doesn't seem to help them go away. We also inspected his fur for fleas but did not find any. We did another flea and worming treatment recently in any case. The vet found 1-2 little black dots in his fur, that's why she said he has fleas. But maybe it's flea droppings from the past? I attached photos of his tail and of his back where the vet found the black dots. The fur on his back is also a bit yellow, which looks like a very mild form of what he has on his tail. That's what the vet said as well. Can you please tell me if anyone's cat has had similar issues in the past? I am determined to get rid of his skin problems, I really want my boy to be healthy and happy. I would be thankful for any information or advice.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sunnykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi-you're absolutely sure that's not natural coloration?
Yes, absolutely. The fur growing out of these spots is greasy, filthy and grey-yellow. It is sticking together and when I try to brush it, it gets ripped out by the brush easily. Such a pity I did not take a photo before shaving his tail to show you what I mean. Now after all the treatments the spots look much better, however, they are still not gone which is very frustrating.

Sunnykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi-you're absolutely sure that's not natural coloration?
In addition to my previous response, the colour of the fur on his tail is not the same colour as dark patches. He has a shaded silver fur without any dark spots. Even if these spots are natural skin colour, it is very strange why the fur growing out of them is sticky and waxy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness.

I'm so glad he has you to bring him back to health. I can only think that the vet treatments, and better food and safe clean water will hopefully help him.
The only other thing could be contacting a cat dermatologist?

Sunnykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Goodness.

I'm so glad he has you to bring him back to health. I can only think that the vet treatments, and better food and safe clean water will hopefully help him.
The only other thing could be contacting a cat dermatologist?
Thanks, I hope it goes away soon. Never heard of cat dermatologist, maybe there aren't any in my area, but I'll check :D

Sunnykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
You can always try a pure oatmeal bath. You can buy a big bags of plan, regular oatmeal at any grocery store. Mix it with a little warm water to make a paste, and apply it directly to the skin. It should be left on for about 10 minutes before removing it. If it gets into the fur, it will flake right off after it dries.
Best part, it's completely natural, non-toxic and kitty might smell better afterwards.
I'd recommend NOT doing this in your bathtub or sink because after it dries, it's kind of a pain to get the tub or sink clean. I'd grab a small bucket if you have one.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the time it just involves using a degreasing shampoo and a ointment containing benzoyl peroxide. If it's severe and becoming infected then antibiotics and a steroid.

Sunnykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can always try a pure oatmeal bath. You can buy a big bags of plan, regular oatmeal at any grocery store. Mix it with a little warm water to make a paste, and apply it directly to the skin. It should be left on for about 10 minutes before removing it. If it gets into the fur, it will flake right off after it dries.
Best part, it's completely natural, non-toxic and kitty might smell better afterwards.
I'd recommend NOT doing this in your bathtub or sink because after it dries, it's kind of a pain to get the tub or sink clean. I'd grab a small bucket if you have one.
Thanks so much! Will try it shortly.

Sunnykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most of the time it just involves using a degreasing shampoo and a ointment containing benzoyl peroxide. If it's severe and becoming infected then antibiotics and a steroid.
Thanks for the info. I currently put steroid ointment from my vet on his tail. I will ask her about a benzoyl peroxide shampoo and ointment too. Or is it something I can get in the pet stores?