Tail Injury

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Charlie injured his tail somehow, last Monday. He had to have the end of his tail amputated on Wednesday. He seems to be recovering reasonably well, but of course I'm still worried. Has anyone had experience with this type of thing? I'd love to hear from anyone who has dealt with a similar injury, to know how long it took for your cat to feel better and to be able to move normally, jump on the furniture etc. And how long does it take for the shaved fur to grow back?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, yes. Several years ago, I had a cat named "Primus." He managed to get his poor tail caught in a closing car door, although that didnt' slow him down from trying to sneak in the car to take a ride. His recovery was quite uneventful, it never seemed to bother him, and the fur was back in a very few weeks. The exact length of time will, of course, depend on how long the tail hair actually is, but it will begin growing back in very quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I hope Charlie will do as well as Primus did. He is acting more normal now, playing and purring and jumping again, but for some reason he keeps holding his tail stiffly curved. I'm guessing it hurts and he wants to avoid letting it touch anything as he moves.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grandma had a cat, the name of which escapes me now, that lost most of his tail in the belt drive of the washing machine. He was apparently none the worse for his ordeal. He was able to do everything any other cat would do.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So it turns out that most of his tail has died. He's in surgery right now having it removed and I'm kind of freaking out. This is a lot more upsetting than I would have expected.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any time surgery is involved we all freak out just a little. But he will be MUCH happier without having to drag around a dead tail. You'll be surprised at how quickly he adjusts and recovers!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's home now, wearing the cone of shame and bumping into things.:tongue: He does seem to feel better already, and with any luck he'll be able to recover properly now.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll bet he will. And he may seem a little clumsy for awhile. Cats use their tails much in the way that a tightrope walker uses that long pole. It is a counter-balance. Watch him on high, narrow things for a bit, till he gets used to the new tail length!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Had they not removed the damaged portion it would have eventually fallen off. Imagine how freaked out you would have been about that!
I have heard of little kids putting rubber bands on a cats tail and then forgetting that they did it. It causes the tail past the band to die and eventually fall off.