Tail fluffing when happy

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is by no means a concern of anything bad going on with my kitty, but just something I'm curious about. All other cats I've seen will fluff their tails and back fur up when they're scared or upset, but my kitty fluffs himself up when he's really happy. He purrs like a chainsaw, so I know he is, in fact, happy (he is also not long-haired, so I can tell when he puffs up). Does anyone else's cat do this? It's cute, but so strange. I guess it's the kitty equivalent of someone crying when they're happy?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I haven't heard of this before, but you never know!  To be honest, purring can occur with cats when they are stressed or quite ill, but I'm sure that isn't the case here. 

What is happening when he does it? 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed any puffing up of their fur, but I do know that both Abby and Katie's fur gets extra, extra soft and silky when they're happy and snuggling.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is by no means a concern of anything bad going on with my kitty, but just something I'm curious about. All other cats I've seen will fluff their tails and back fur up when they're scared or upset, but my kitty fluffs himself up when he's really happy. He purrs like a chainsaw, so I know he is, in fact, happy (he is also not long-haired, so I can tell when he puffs up). Does anyone else's cat do this? It's cute, but so strange. I guess it's the kitty equivalent of someone crying when they're happy?
My brother and I call it "Happy tail"  I have seen all 5 of mine doing it, usually when playing with each other.  Sheba also does it when I give her mega-skritchies and atomic noogies.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Matt fluffs up the bass of his tail when we come home, and goes around purring and headbutting things.....it's funny because I was just thinking about how strange this is yesterday when I watched him doing it :)

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting. Wendel puffs the base of his tail when he's bouncing between us to get love - usually purring and head-slamming us. We always just figured he was getting overstimulated, but now I wonder if it's just a way of being happy.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd say definitely happy.....I always see it in greeting, and only ever when "talking" to the adults in the family. So I think the cat must feel completely safe in order to express this level of hello?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd say definitely happy.....I always see it in greeting, and only ever when "talking" to the adults in the family. So I think the cat must feel completely safe in order to express this level of hello?
Absolutely ! 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think some cats do it when they are happy. One of mine puffs up his tail when he is playing and making chirping noises. My other cat just did it for the first time last week when I pulled the homemade cat food out of the fridge. He came running over and puffed up his tail

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kippy fluffs himself up when he's meowing and snuggling and wanting attention, so it's definitely not a matter of him being in pain or distress. For some reason, Kip absolutely adores my boyfriend and he gets especially fluffy when my guy visits. He'll crawl in his lap, violently rub his head against his hand, roll around and show his belly, and the whole time he's puffed right up.

I also notice sometimes he'll only fluff up the base of his tail when he's happy, but other times it's the entire tail. Funny enough, when Kip would fight with my other cats, he'd never ever fluff his fur up. Even now when he's scared (like when he sees the dog), he rarely puffs himself up. I think he's got things backwards.

tigerii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Tiger, "gets fluffy" after he eats.  He visits the litter box, then bounds out and races around with his tail all fluffy.  He is so comical to watch.  I wish he was a lap cat, but he definitely will not stay on my lap.  But his bed is near where I sit, so most of the time, you'll find him snuggled up there.

bugs and bear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitty who fluffs his whole tale (sometimes his back too), purring and runs around the house getting me to flow him. Once he's able to reach my hands (from the counter) he will headbutt me and give me little nips (love bites). He's just being extra energetically happy that I'm home and am giving him attention. Glad he's not the only kitty to do this. :)

nikers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dsh female does this. Her tail puffs up when she's being petted or she kneading. She has never puffed her tail when she's mad. Lol

glioness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am glad I saw this!  My snowshoe, Bandit does this all the time when I come home.  It's like a dog that is happy to see their human come home! I have had cats before and never saw this behavior until now.  He also does this when he is getting his breakfast! :)   He is a very loving and attentive spoiled big boy!  I love him to life!

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine does it when she's playful. Not necessarily irritated, but when she's alert and playing.

rebecca justice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a cat that showed up at my door last year, and after he finally settled in he started fluffing his tali when he was happy... going for a walk, getting dinner, rubbing my ankles...he is so mellow, but his tail looks like a bottle brush when ever we do something he enjoys...so enjoy your happy cat...

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I adopted a cat that showed up at my door last year, and after he finally settled in he started fluffing his tali when he was happy... going for a walk, getting dinner, rubbing my ankles...he is so mellow, but his tail looks like a bottle brush when ever we do something he enjoys...so enjoy your happy cat...
Welcome to TCS. I invite you to introduce yourself and your cat(s) in the New Cats on the Block section. Be sure to post some pics of your cat(s).

Your cat sounds like he really likes being your owner.

beatycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My gorgeous baby, Beauty, just had the longest episode of happy tail fluff and purr!  With her tail fluffed she looks like a snow leopard from the zoo!  Her mood is all look at me, look at me!  She walks back and forth on two stools letting out a frequent rolling from the purring cry.  She makes us all feel so happy! :)