Tail amputation question

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Here is some background: So my foster kitten is incontinent and SLIGHTLY wobbly due to a neurological condition. I express his bladder several times a day. He recently had his tail removed because he was biting it so hard it would bleed. He didn't have much control of his tail and it sort of dragged behind him. He was either experiencing some nerve pain or just flat out mistaking it for a toy. He may not have had much feeling in it and just bit too hard.

Now that his tail is gone he seems to be regaining some control of his bladder. Has anyone ever experienced this or can anyone explain how or why this would be possible if it is? I know that he had been in the shelter system since he was around 7 weeks old. I got him when he was 3 months and now he is about 5 and a half months. His tail was removed last week.

kflei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe his tail was 'dead weight', and with it gone, he has more muscle control?  Kind of like how your hair springs up after getting the weight cut off...  Does that make sense, lol?  We had a house cat at the clinic I worked at whose tail was docked (can't remember why), and she could both urinate and defecate on her own, but still had to have her bladder manually expressed as she couldn't empty it completely, and would suffer from frequent infections.  Bless you for taking on such a responsibility.  There's a special place in heaven for people like you.  He is freaking ADORABLE!  Love his sweet face!  (I'm a big softie for black cats)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe his tail was 'dead weight', and with it gone, he has more muscle control?  Kind of like how your hair springs up after getting the weight cut off...  Does that make sense, lol?  We had a house cat at the clinic I worked at whose tail was docked (can't remember why), and she could both urinate and defecate on her own, but still had to have her bladder manually expressed as she couldn't empty it completely, and would suffer from frequent infections.  Bless you for taking on such a responsibility.  There's a special place in heaven for people like you.  He is freaking ADORABLE!  Love his sweet face!  (I'm a big softie for black cats)
That sounds like a possibility!
And thank you:). He can be a lot of work but he's worth every second. the picture of the tabby is his brother. He's ataxic and had a limp and numb tail and he injured it pretty bad so he had it removed too. In the pic, he had just stolen my pillow:p. I spent a few nights sleeping on the bathroom floor because he needed to be separated from Jag while his tail healed and he was very upset that he had to be alone. Jag is a little more independent and is okay at night by himself. Oh and the tabby, Wibbly, was adopted a couple weeks ago:). For whatever reason, he had a worse tail and a more ataxic gait but he has full control of his bladder and bowel movements.

kflei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My god, he's so cute it brings tears to my eyes.  What a special couple of guys, and you, too...