Tail Amputation and Urine

branflies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I just adopted a very handsome man (two days ago) who is roughly a year and 4 months old. In October he was returned to the shelter and had his tail amputated.
When Beaux grooms himself and gets to his genital area he urinates. During the day and at night he has no issue using his litter box. The shelter attributed this to him being in a home with a dog and said it went away once he was back and on a urinary specific food.
I’m wondering if this is something that I can work with him on for long term recovery, if it’s related to him being in a new space, or if it’a just something that I need to get used to?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would take him to your private vet. Make sure there are no underlying health issues that an overworked shelter vet perhaps missed. That's step one. If nothing is amiss physically, then we'll need to explore things further. This may (or may not) clear up with a little time. He's in a very new place, and that could be a factor. If it does not clear up, we'll certainly help you explore other avenues to help him!