Tablets

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am thinking strongly of buying myself a ten inch tablet. I am considering the

Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Amazon Fire with Special Promotion.

I have read the Amazon Fire has ads promoting Amazon products that pop up on the screen. Does anybody own one of these? If so, how distracting and aggravating are these ads.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd personally go with the Samsung. Apple just takes Samsung's ideas and costs 3 x more. I have a Samsung Tab E that works great.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Amazon IOS is annoying, imo, and, yeah, there are ads. We got cheap Fire tablets for my niece and nephew and they were a pain.

I recommend the Samsung; that's what I have. Get the 128GB if you can, so you don't have to worry about running out of memory.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
W Willowy ,
Did the ads pop up randomly, or was it just when you turned on the tablets?
Did you buy a case or a screen protector for your Samsung?

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Fire HD 8 7th generation. I only get one ad at the start up screen. I never get ads that randomly show up while I'm using the tablet. There is a purchasing option to remove ads or a way to remove ads after purchase. I got my tablet for free so I get that one ad which really isn't annoying. I like the tablet even though I don't use it much now.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly, the ads were in the background and they wouldn't let you change the background screen, and they popped up on startup. Not terrible, but not great either.

And, yeah, I bought a bumper case because I dropped my last one and cracked it :/.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I bought the Amazon Fire 8 back in January, and I love it. The Canadian version doesn't come with the popup ads, so that not something I had to deal with. If you decide to go with the Fire, Amazon has sales on the Fire tablets frequently, so if you're not in a rush to buy one, watch for the sales.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kids have the 10" Fire tablets. We pay for Kids Kindle Free time for them; so they don't see ads. I had a kindle fire years ago. There weren't popup ads then; just on the lock screen. Which is how it is on my Kindle Paperwhite. The only other ads I notice are when I'm browsing the storefront. They work good for what I need with the kids.

Having said that; I prefer browsing and using apps on my phone to their tablets. So I think I might go for another brand if I wanted another tablet. DH was looking into some recently and found they didn't work with the programs he wanted to use. So consider that too.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've got a Fire HD 8 10th Generation with special promotions. The only ads I get are the screen savers and are primarily for books. The speed, display and sound are good - I can also moderate on it, which I know will tell you a lot. I put a MicroSDXC card in it to expand the storage, but that wasn't necessary at all thanks to cloud storage.The camera is so-so, and the apps are limited, but I haven't found that to be a problem. This is my second Fire tablet, so obviously I've been satisfied. I've hardly used my laptop since getting a tablet. I use the tablet for TCS, reading news, Facebook, Messenger, You Tube, crosswords, and most email. I don't normally read books on it since I have a Kindle Paperwhite for that.

Hubby has a Samsung Galaxy tablet (a gift) with a brilliant display, but he barely makes use of its options. If he'd bought it himself, he would have paid too much for the little use he gets out of it. The cheaper Fire would certainly have covered his needs. He primarily uses it to watch YouTube while playing his piano.

I'd definitely recommend getting a cover and screen protector for whatever tablet you get. They attract dust, get knocked over, walked on by cats, and so on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to all who replied. You certainly gave me some good recommendations. I had decided on the Fire until I found Best Buy had knocked $50 off the Samsung. They are also including a free folio keyboard case valued at $99 and a free subscription to a security called web root. So I paid $179. The Fire and the tablet case I liked on Amazon would have been $140. I will see what all it does and then decide how I want to use it. I should get it Wednesday. I will post how I like in case someone else needs help in deciding.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's a good price, and I'm pretty sure you'll love the tablet once you get used to it. I keep mine in a kitchen cabinet and check email or scroll headlines while making coffee in the morning, etc.. Meaning I use it a lot more than I thought I would.