Table Food

simon's mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who feeds her cats table food only. I have told her this is not good for them. Am I wrong? We have been having this arguement for sometime now. My male begs me for my food and I won't give it to him and she tells me to. She says it won't hurt him. Is this true?

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Simon's Mommy
I have a friend who feeds her cats table food only. I have told her this is not good for them. Am I wrong? We have been having this argument for sometime now. My male begs me for my food and I won't give it to him and she tells me to. She says it won't hurt him. Is this true?
Feeding table food not specifically prepared for the cats, as their only food source, is definitely not in their best interests health-wise. Treats are one thing and it depends on how it is prepared, and with what, but to feed cats strictly table food prepared for human consumption is foolish at best and potentially dangerous to the cat. This woman needs to read a label on a quality pet food and see if even half of what it lists as ingredients is being fed to her cats in their table food. Or look up some raw diets and see what all must be added to balance the mix and provide what the cats need. You are correct, in my opinion, but I doubt you will convince this woman otherwise.

Pete

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definatly NOT a good idea. It is hard to give them a balanced diet unless you have done some serious homework. There are quite a few threads on the site that list very important ingredients. One being Taurine. Things like the fact that onion or onion powder can be fatal to them. She should be very careful about this if she plans to have the cat for many years to come.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Table food only is a really bad idea. Of course what cat mommy or daddy would be a true cat spoiler without giving them a few scraps now and again. (GUILTY!)
Your friend should ask the vet to recommend a good food, or maybe you can recommend a food too!