Tabby or not Tabby, That is the question.

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have to apologise for the pun, could not resist. 

So when I bought Cyndi the breeder described her as a Maine Coon Silver Grey/Tortoishell Tabby

I being no expert took her word for it but am not so sure now since the vet I took her to wasn't sure and also because now almost every cat I see looks like a Maine Coon.

So please help me out, not that it matters a lot cause she has already won my heart but still would like to know.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose the descritpion is fair enough.  Although most breeders would say blue instead of grey.   As the cat fanciers language for grey is blue.

This young kitten may very well be a Maine Coon, but if she is, depends on the breeder - how serious she is, or how reliable.

Does the breeder belongs to an established Association?  Did Cindy get her pedigree papers with her?   If yes, she is surely a MCO.

If its no breeder, but owner of a family cat whom happened to get kittens.  If so, she almost surely is no MCO, although she may be a look alike...

And there is the broad and wide field of everything in beteen...

"are we a little pregnant"?    :)

And looking again, she is a little and real beauty!  Classical tabby, I think, at that.  Not the most common, most MCO are rather striped "mackerel" tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stefan,

She has no papers as the breeder isn't registered but since she is a local (It's a small town) I took a chance on her since she is just starting out.

I took a couple of pics thius afternoon as I had some good light, also switched the camera to 12 mp to see if it would help.

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"are we a little pregnant"?    :)

And looking again, she is a little and real beauty!  Classical tabby, I think, at that.  Not the most common, most MCO are rather striped "mackerel" tabby.
OMG what, she is not even 4 months yet is that possible?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What a pretty kitten :heart3: She sure is a beauty :clap:

I'm a Maine Coon breeder and I would say it is quite possible she is a Maine Coon. :D
Her muzzle is a little narrow at the moment but it could widen out as she gets older, to produce that boxy muzzle maine coon look. ;)

Her color would be classed as blue tortie tabby ( blue torbie ) or blue patched tabby. They both mean the same just different cat registries call them by different names.

So, your beautiful girl is indeed a tabby but also a tortie ( tortoiseshell ) too. Basically this means she is a blue tabby with red patches.
This means that one of her parents must have been red or tortie. Did you see her parents ?

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She surely does look like a Maine Coon, she's beautiful!. For color I'd rather say Black Tortie Silver Tabby Classic, as I'm not seeing the blue to be honest. But it might be the lighting on the pictures. Blue is the diluted color of black, and to me she seems not diluted.

Mom is beautiful too, and also looks to be a Maine Coon ^^ Enjoy your girl!

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is stunning!! Wow, absolutely gorgeous! :)

I would also say Maine Coon, maybe not 100%, but a good portion.

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

She surely does look like a Maine Coon, she's beautiful!. For color I'd rather say Black Tortie Silver Tabby Classic, as I'm not seeing the blue to be honest. But it might be the lighting on the pictures. Blue is the diluted color of black, and to me she seems not diluted.

Mom is beautiful too, and also looks to be a Maine Coon ^^ Enjoy your girl!
She is stunning!! Wow, absolutely gorgeous!

I would also say Maine Coon, maybe not 100%, but a good portion.
Thanks so much everyone, am already sooo proud of her but still nice to hear others confirm,

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG what, she is not even 4 months yet is that possible?
StefanZ was teasing about her being "in between" ---really a cat is either purebred or not (like either pregnant or not), it's mostly determined by documentation not looks.

But, YES, some kittens go into heat as early as 14-16 weeks, so be careful. Keep an eye on her for signs of heat and don't allow her near intact males. Larger cats usually mature slower but don't get complacent. You can never fully relax about it until she's spayed :D.

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ was teasing about her being "in between" ---really a cat is either purebred or not (like either pregnant or not), it's mostly determined by documentation not looks.

But, YES, some kittens go into heat as early as 14-16 weeks, so be careful. Keep an eye on her for signs of heat and don't allow her near intact males. Larger cats usually mature slower but don't get complacent. You can never fully relax about it until she's spayed
Yes I figured that was the case, no worries not many cats out this way, do have a family of racoons living  next door in the old inn tho so will be careful