Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Tabby Dsh - Or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Describing Cats - What Does My Cat Look Like?' started by fiorya, Aug 6, 2017.

1. fiorya

fiorya Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Oct 28, 2016
    Hey everyone! A few weeks ago, I found this kitten (named Iris) in a parking lot. I have no idea what her pedigree is, but I'm assuming she's a regular domestic shorthair. ~9 weeks old.

But I'm not completely sure, because look at her ears! They're huge!! And pointy.

20170730_123940.jpg
    ^ When she was about 6-7 wks old

20170806_153103.jpg
    ^ Today (about 9 wks old)

She is also very slender. Shorthair coat, fur is kind of rough but I think that may be because she's still growing it in.

She has some white hairs that stand out amongst her tabby markings. They've gotten more prominent as she's gotten older.

More pics:

20170801_164108.jpg

20170730_124441.jpg

20170724_133641.jpg
    ^ She has ear tufts at the top that are barely visible.

20170804_193043.jpg
    ^ Sleeping next to my other cat Daisy. You can just barely see the white hairs on her coat in this pic.

20170806_190853.jpg

Personality-wise, she is extremely playful and loves to hunt down toys. She won't cuddle, but she likes to climb up me and sit on my shoulders (as you can probably tell).

She also doesn't seem to mind water too much. She plays in her water fountain.

She's very intelligent and learns puzzles and new games within minutes. She's learned how to tap my phone to unlock it, and she will play some of my phone games with me. (Games that require tapping the screen to get an outcome.) I've never had a kitten do this before. Daisy shows interest in screens (and she kind of learned how to turn the alarm off on my phone), but not to the extent that Iris has.

I'm sure she's "just" a regular shorthair, but just wanted to see if you guys have any other ideas. Regardless, I hope you've enjoyed all the kitty pics. :p

Attached Files:

mama africa, weebeasties and StefanZ purraised this.

2. 1CatOverTheLine

1CatOverTheLine TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 6, 2017
    @fiorya - She's absolutely gorgeous. Your first photo of her on the pillow captures a coat condition known as, "glitter." Welcome to TCS!

Alejandra Rico purraised this.

3. Alejandra Rico

Alejandra Rico TCS Member Super Cat

Mar 27, 2017
    Asturias, Spain
    Mmmm... Quite a lovely girl, I must say.
    Well, without papers, you know, we can only be sure that she is a domestic short hair.
    Now, if I had to guess... Maybe some distant Savannah influence? Savannah cats are allowed to have either brick red or black noses, and have those big ears that make them look so cute.

CThom17, StefanZ, fiorya and 1 other person purraised this.

4. abyeb

abyeb Charlie's Purrson Staff Member Forum Helper

Feb 18, 2017
    Good thinking! Yeah, I could see some possible Savannah influence in this baby, with her big ears and slender body. Although, as others have said, she is technically a DSH, brown spotted tabby in coloring.

Fiorya, I have a somewhat strange-sounding request. Can you post a picture of the back of Iris's ears? What I'm curious about is if she has something called ocelli, a trait found in Servals and their domestic hybrid offshoot breed, the Savannah.

5. 1CatOverTheLine

1CatOverTheLine TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 6, 2017
    If you zoom in on the image of her on the stove, you can see the flash behind her ears.

;)

6. abyeb

abyeb Charlie's Purrson Staff Member Forum Helper

Feb 18, 2017
    Oh, wow! Yeah, those are some clearly defined ocelli! I didn't even see that there were additional thumbnail photos after the main post. :doh:

Alejandra Rico and StefanZ purraised this.

7. fiorya

Oct 28, 2016
    More pics of the back of her ears:
    20170806_124503.jpg
    20170806_214523.jpg
    (Sorry for not cropping the images. I'm on my phone and it's a hassle. XD )

I can't tell whether they are ocelli or not. They kind of look like regular kitty ear shading.

Her ears from the front, and her eyes, definitely look similar to a Savannah, though! Especially since the ears are front-facing.

CThom17 and Alejandra Rico purraised this.

8. fiorya

Oct 28, 2016
    Did some research and I think the ocelli look like the ones that are commonly found in tabbies. It was cool to learn more about them, though! I'd never noticed that some tabbies have them. I'm going to be checking for them every time I see a tabby now. :D

Still puzzled by how big her ears are, but I guess they're not too unusual. I kinda hope she doesn't grow into them. They're so cute. :3

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Alejandra Rico and 1CatOverTheLine purraised this.

9. Alejandra Rico

Alejandra Rico TCS Member Super Cat

Mar 27, 2017
    Asturias, Spain
    Well, if there is any recent Savannah influence in this lovely kitten you will soon know it when her size surpases that of DSH tabbies.

CThom17 and fiorya purraised this.

10. fiorya

Oct 28, 2016
    Update:

Iris is now almost 5 months old. So I'm posting some new pics, to see what everyone thinks she looks like now. Her ears are still big - they're now larger than my others cat's, even though she's still just a kitten. But she seems about the same size as a typical kitten, so I don't think she's part savannah? At least, not in recent lineage? She weighs almost 5 lbs, which is typical for a kitten her age.

The ears: (still big and tufted and cute :p )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The coat:

[​IMG]

Size comparison with my other cat (who is about 7 yrs old and weighs 10 lbs):

[​IMG]

I'm thinking she is probably "just" a spotted tabby. But I'm curious if anyone has any input. The fact that she has ear tufts continues to puzzle me.

11. CThom17

CThom17 TCS Member Young Cat

Nov 23, 2017
    She looks a lot like our kitten, Keanu.
    Oh, and female Savannah's are much smaller than male Savannah's, from what I've been reading.
    20180105_223004.jpg

Alejandra Rico purraised this.