Tabby Cat With Siamese Background?

smsk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I've recently adopted an orange tabby cat who (aprox. 18 months old) who was found very pregnant on the streets in Northern California (Yuba City). My family noticed that our cat is very different from other cats we've had in the past (one Birman and one Japanese Bobtail) because she's very vocal, enjoys attention, she's really patient with children even when they're a bit rough. She is very intuitive, intelligent, and dog-like: she loves walking on a leash and gives her paw just like a dog.

I know that her personality might be the product of some random genetic traits combined with a good environment (maybe she did have a home before she was found in the streets). However, the people who rescued her believe that she may have Siamese in her background.

Any thoughts? I'm attaching a few pictures.
amber.jpeg ambermom.jpeg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s very pretty! It’s not too common that we see orange girls! Her muzzle conformation alone suggests that she might have some Oriental influence. Her talkativeness also backs up this theory. Thanks for taking her in!

Here’s another thread where you can show off her picture: Let's See Your Orange/cream Females

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smsk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply abyeb abyeb ! Indeed, I was looking at the other thread and I think my kitty girl looks like another female cat who is known to have Oriental mix in her background.

I think her profile looks quite Siamese. IMG-5548.JPG

I'm posting a few more pictures in the other thread. Thanks again!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Post the pictures in THIS thread, as this thread is your own. :)

Observe, orientales are near akin with siameses. And siameses are more common. So, in practice, when we say about a cat: perhaps some oriental ancestry it means also: perhaps some siamese ancestry.

The ONLY big exception is cats in east asia island countries, where its common their street moggies has oriental alike looks.

As you write it, its sure she had a home once. Probably got thrown out when she become pregnant the first time.

A part of her friendliness with kids, may be, being rescued from the streets, she is extra grateful, and knows to show her appreciation.

Of course, being a good momma, she recognizes other children. "they are just childs, exactly as my own" - and has extra patience. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smsk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Stefanz, thanks for your reply. I completely agree with you, I guess without a DNA test, it's almost impossible to tell for sure whether she has some siamese ancestry or she's a lucky street moggie with a wonderful personality.

I'm just so curious about my kitty's story that I somehow need to find an explanation as of why she seems so different from the other cats I know. She's so special that I often tell a friend who is blind that he should give vacations to his service dog and go for a walk with my kitty. Seriously, she's the closest thing to a "service cat." When she walks on a leash, she would only move when the whole party starts walking and notices right away when someone is left behind (particularly the children), otherwise she would sit there, waiting next to us. When we go hiking in a safe place, sometimes we even let her walk without a leash because she would just follow us around like a dog. She's also a swimmer and loves kayaking with us. Also, what puzzles me, is that she seems to figure out stuff on her own. She saw me cleaning her sanitary litter box a couple of times and she was like pondering "why not using the toilet instead, then?" So, she thought it would be a good idea to start using human toilets instead! Even though my previous cats had lots of abilities and skills, none of them were as curious and intelligent as Amber.