T-Cyte Treatment for FeLV & FIV Cats?

johnbonnard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Oakey.

Some time ago you posted that you were treating your cats with T-Cyte LCTI for FeLV. I hope that the treatment has been successful in the longer term, and that your kitties is still alive, happy and in good heath.

I have been treating my beautiful cat Tiffy with LTCI for the last three months and while it certainly has been very successful my vet is unsure regarding the frequency of follow up shots. Could I ask you how frequently you have been giving these?

I would be grateful for your advice.

Best Regards,

John

johnbonnard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some time ago you posted that you were treating your cat with T-Cyte LCTI. I hope that the treatment has been successful in the longer term, and that your kitty is still alive, happy and in good heath.

I have been treating my beautiful cat Tiffy with LTCI for the last three months and while it certainly has been very successful my vet is unsure regarding the frequency of follow up shots. Could I ask you how frequently you have been giving these?

Best Regards,

John

bokibojana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some time ago you posted that you were treating your cat with T-Cyte LCTI. I hope that the treatment has been successful in the longer term, and that your kitty is still alive, happy and in good heath.

Best Regards,

John

[/quote

bokibojana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is doing great thanks God. He had 9 injections thill this moment. First 3 on every 7. Day, 4. After one month, other one every second month. Can I ask you where you live?

surrogatto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi bokibojana, 

do you know if LTCI is sold in UK ? I'm also trying with Switzerland with no success to date.

johnbonnard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply Bokibojana. I live in South Africa where the vets had never even heard about this treatment so I have had to ask around. Julia has been very helpful with information about it and kidney support products. Her cat Igor is still doing well on LTCI at 16 years of age, so it is definitely a life giving product

swanjun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
John, here's what the manufacturer's site says about LTCI dose frequency:

"LTCI is administered by a veterinarian with a simple, painless injection under your cat’s skin. In the first month of treatment, LTCI  is typically administered at days 0, 7 and 14. Subsequently, it can be administered monthly or bi-monthly, or as needed, depending on your cat’s response and your veterinarian’s advice. Veterinarians will often treat critically ill patients with a more aggressive treatment schedule."

sixfootthree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if human HIV drugs would have helped him?   There is a combo of 3 HIV drugs that show promising results in FeLV cats although its not a cure in advanced stages. 

50 mg of Tenofovir (TDF)  and 25 mg of Emtricitabine (FTC)  sid, both HIV reverse-transcriptase inhibitors. Three days later he additionally began receiving 30 mg bid of Raltegravir (RAL), an HIV integrase inhibitor. His three drug regimen therefore constitutes a standard HIV HAART (Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy) regimen, understood to consist of at least three antiretroviral drugs drawn from at least two inhibitory classes.

woodrow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is doing great thanks God. He had 9 injections thill this moment. First 3 on every 7. Day, 4. After one month, other one every second month. Can I ask you where you live?
 Hello Bokibojana,

I'd like to talk to you if possible. I have a cat with the same condition as yours, i sent you a private message

Thank you

lyle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is my understanding (I could very well be wrong) that the T-Cyte drug was/is an "offshoot" of drug(s) developed for human HIV. I am currently treating a cat Benjamin with T-Cyte. I have a post up that documents his progress.

woodrow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is my understanding (I could very well be wrong) that the T-Cyte drug was/is an "offshoot" of drug(s) developed for human HIV. I am currently treating a cat Benjamin with T-Cyte. I have a post up that documents his progress.
Is benjamin with FelV?

keep us update please and god bless your cat.

lyle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Benjamin has the FeLv. It is asymtomatic at this point although it is causing health issues mainly on his red blood cells. His immediate health concern in anemia. It is expected that as the T-Cyte injections take effect that his related health issues will resolve. As mentioned, I have a separate post regarding Benjamin and his treatment. I don't want to step on someone else's post by going into details here.

Last edited:

julia seidner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have never heard or read that LTCI has got anything to do with the human HIV treatment. It has been developed specifically for treating cat with FIV and FelV. You could get all the info in the Internet from the producer. Julia

lyle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well then, there ya go. My story, if you will, came from my vet. The details centering around the test subjects in the HIV drug development. T-Cyte and HIV drugs are not the same at all, but shared a common point at some time in their development. Since they act similarly to target a specific virus it's reasonable to assume that all similar drugs had a nexus. I'm neither a vet nor a chemist and the connections(?) among the various specific virus targeting drugs are of little matter to me, I have a sick cat.

smcclung101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​I find the cost small. after the load doses, three every week, you go to one month. It's lower than vet bills.

smcclung101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​Yes the three load doses and then the monthly. effective and I use it for arthritis in my mastiff

carolyn woods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5-year-old kitty, Poppy, was just diagnosed with FELV and last Wednesday she got a transfusion and her first t-Cyte shot. Her second one is beng given tomorrow.

The thing that was so upsetting is that when I adopted her she tested negative for the virus and then her regular vet gave her the prevention vaccine right away.  I never gave it another thought until now.  I have two other cats at home that are both negative, just had them tested again. Now they'll need the prevention vaccine again.

I'm hoping for a good outcome for Poppy and it has been helpful reading about other experiences. 

Carolyn

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone one know if it is available in canada. My cat Rudy was diagnosed last week , after being unable to shake a upper respiratory infection, he is on a second round of antibiotics but my vet suggested no other treatment options. Could someone also tell me what it cost at least in US dollars then I could do some math. My vets charges are fairly reasonable but I am at 450$ just to treat the uri and the test for FeVl an FIV.

johnbonnard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Carolyn. I am so sorry to hear about your cat Poppy but - take my word for it, T-Cyte is a highly effective preparation. It gave my beautiful boy cat Tiffy his life back last year when I treated him with it. He was approaching the end, seriously anaemic and suffering from neurological symptoms that made him restless, agitated and even caused him to hallucinate. I could actually see an improvement in his condition on the second day following his first injection, and he continued to improve steadily, with his HCT reaching a very normal reading of 45. Sadly however his kidneys were not good, and he appeared to suffer a stroke just before Christmas, so I had to let him go although it broke my heart. But now back to your situation, without wanting to sound like a know all, the reason that Poppy appeared to be negative when first tested for FeLV is that the snap test does not show up as positive until the cat has been infected for about three months - it takes that long for the viral load to become high enough to trigger the test. The downside of this is that your two other cats may also already be infected, but take heart, about 70% of healthy adult cats that are infected overcome the virus on their own. It is only when the infection reaches a final stage that the battle is lost and recovery becomes impossible. What I would do in your case would be to ask your vet to give the other cats a single dose each of T-Cyte. This medication works by giving the the immune systems a massive boost, and their chances of overcoming the virus might be greatly increased as a result. Whatever you decide - good luck to you all.