Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Syria

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by denice, Apr 13, 2018.

1. denice

denice Thread Starter Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    We along with Britain and France are striking Syria. We are supposed to be trying to take out Assad's chemicals. You strike chemicals with missiles and things could go really badly. From what I understand France's leader was the once that was really wanting to go this time.

2. donutte

donutte Professional cat sitter extraordinaire! Top Cat

Apr 22, 2015
    Northern suburbs of Chicago
    Scary times. I don't even know what to think right now.

3. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    There are no good answers in Syria only less bad ones. France has been wanting to strike Syria for quite some time, they wanted to go after Syria crossed Obama's red line. I think some of that is they are one of the countries bearing the brunt of Syrian refugees. It has gotten to the point that people are living in tents on the sidewalks of Paris.

We really can't just sit back and watch chemical weapons attacks and do nothing but talk about how bad that is.

foxxycat purraised this.

4. KatKnapper

KatKnapper TCS Member Adult Cat

Jan 25, 2017
    Cat in the window
    They'll just get more chemicals. Destroy production plants, they'll just get the "out of the box" building materials from Russia or perhaps even Iran. Iran could be producing both the chemical and plant building materials or serving as a conduit for another ally to move the stuff.

5. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    That is why there are no good answers. Chemicals are easy and cheap to get, they are very easily weaponized. Assad has proven that he will do absolutely anything to stay in power including reducing Syria to rubble. Putin is driven to prove that Russia is still a super power that can run with the 'big dogs' and Iran wants to be the preeminent power in the Mideast. The question remains though, do we just sit on our hands, watch chemical attacks and do nothing but say that is bad and don't do it again.

foxxycat purraised this.

6. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    From the reports I've read was a very limited strike that caused no lasting damage. It was just symbolic. Assad is free to use chemical weapons again as long as he does it infrequently enough that international response remains restrained as it has been so far.

7. gareth

gareth TCS Member Super Cat

Dec 19, 2003
    UK
    Trump is hailing it as a perfect mission. If true, this should be shouted from rooftops around the world, as it will be the first perfect mission in the history of warfare.

8. KatKnapper

Jan 25, 2017
    Cat in the window
    The hero of the neighborhood, the help that always comes to the aid of the underdog may save and always be welcomed by the unfortunate, but who will come to his/her aid when they are cornered alone somewhere in a back alley? Since the USA no longer believes "In God we Trust" she will indeed be all alone when that time comes. It will come. How much are we as a nation willing to sacrifice to save those faced with such perils? Hopefully, our all as this is perhaps the only saving grace we have remaining before the eyes of a merciful God. It is His watchful eye and grace that has blessed our nation thus far.

9. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Not to derail the conversation or be argumentative, but I've always wondered---why do you believe God thinks the US is more special than other countries? That seems inconsistent with standard religious teachings.

I'm always suspicious of the pro-war people showing sad pictures of the children who were hurt in the chemical attacks, to justify their response. . .only to drop bombs on the same children :/. But supposedly the attacks were targeted so hopefully no innocent lives were claimed.

muffy purraised this.

10. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Of course there is no possible way to remove all possibility of killing civilians. They had three targets, two storage facilities and an R&D and production facility. They didn't take out all of his chemical weapons but a strong message was sent that chemical weapons are not acceptable at least to Britain, France and the U.S.

11. KatKnapper

Jan 25, 2017
    Cat in the window
    I did not say any such thing. The people of America believe God is special. The country is founded upon such. No country is more special to God than His own...the Nation of Israel. They are His Chosen People. You should start a tread so as not to derail this one.

12. mani

mani fervent feline fan Staff Member Moderator

Feb 28, 2012
    Australia
    [​IMG]

I think, @KatKnapper , that you might be derailing it yourself.

Let's stay on topic.

muffy purraised this.

13. kittypa

kittypa TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 29, 2016
    Southern California
    l think that we should be clear about what we’re doing there. Although POTUS will not say it, I know there is strong support within our government for regime change. There has been for a long time. If POTUS becomes convinced... Katy bar the door. :ohwell:

14. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia TCS Member Super Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ 0ne thing nobody is talking about -- perhaps out of caution to avoid causing the American public to worry -- is the danger of a Sarin gas/chemical weapon 'suitcase bomb' that can be used on peaceful nations - such as France , UK , or the U.S.
    I believe this is a one reason the President and our allies acted in Syria . Likely this is not the end .

Why Breathing in Sarin Might Be the Worst Way to Die

15. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    There is the same bipartisan group in Congress that is wanting to do this. That is why we are hearing the whining from Congress about needing an overall strategy on Syria. The only overall strategy in Syria is to get rid of the last of ISIS and that is it. Assad has 'won', he gets to continue to be part of a tiny minority that is ruling what is left of Syria. He will continue to be propped up by Russia and Iran who will tell him what he can and cannot do.

16. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    "Regime change"? To what? We tried that in Iraq back in 2003, and look what we got: ISIS. I almost pray for Saddam to come back again, kick me all you want.

Sometimes good diplomacy means having to deal with very very bad people, including Assad and Putin. That, in turn, may mean having to hold our noses and suffering their presence. And, accepting their rule, however loathsome it might be.

The alternatives might well be worse, and we've seen examples of that already.

kittypa and xlpooper purraised this.

17. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    What evidence is there that anyone is contemplating such a thing?

18. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I think President Trump (yes, I think this is a rare instance when he deserves the title) described the US Syria strategy pretty well:

Use of chemical weapons violates international law. The international community can't stop Assad from using them but it can punish him when he does. But the US isn't going to try to unseat Assad.

More on the rare appearance of President Trump: I quite liked his speech given after the attack on Syria. His speech writer did an excellent job writing it and Trump stuck to it while keeping his usual childish urges to bash his personal foes in check. He called out Russia for aiding Assad in the slaughter of his people. I believe I heard yesterday or today that the US is imposing still more sanctions against Russia for exactly this reason. I believe he even called out Putin by name in a tweet. He may be finally getting a clue about the true nature of Putin.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    doomsdave and xlpooper purraised this.

19. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    And, the President's job.

Whoa, I'm startled.

20. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    No, Trump has been busy the last couple of days bashing Comey and his book in his more typically childish manner. I think appearances by President Trump will remain a very rare thing. :frown: