Swollen wrist

amber_autumn92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I could REALLY use some advice! My kitty Vinny's front right wrist has been very swollen since around April or May! He still walks around and does what he wants but he doesn't put pressure on the paw.

I have taken him to the vet so many times now and nothing has improved! He was first prescribed an oral anti inflammatory and pain med for a week. What improvement I did see was short lived. I then had xrays taken. There is no broken bones or signs of arthritis but the wrist muscles are very swollen. He was then given a steroid anti inflammatory shot that was suppose to last 1 month. He had great improvement but only for maybe 2 weeks. He then went back to limping.

The current plan is a steroid shot and joint health shot once a month for two months. Once again he did very well the first couple weeks but now he seems like he's in pain again!

We have spent so much money on this with no true improvement! Has anyone else dealt with a simular situation?

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! This makes me think a little bit of a human's "trigger finger", where the steroid shot might or might not work.

Would your vet be willing to consult with a university veterinary medical department?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It might be that he will needs weeks - maybe longer - where he is confined to a smaller space so as to minimize aggravation to his injury. It almost sounds as if the treatments he has been given have helped enough that he feels more like using his paw, and that ends up delaying the healing process. You might ask the vet about this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amber_autumn92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you considered giving your kitty Turmeric? We used to give our dog that ALL the time to help with inflammatory issues
I didn't know tumeric was good for inflammation. Do you just mix some into wet food? I was wondering if CBD for pets would be good.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't know tumeric was good for inflammation. Do you just mix some into wet food? I was wondering if CBD for pets would be good.
You CAN but Turmeric is a REALLY strong taste and your cats might not like it. I personally mix it in with bone broth because that kind of masks the taste a little. Though I've also used salmon oil, but that wasn't as effective because it's also a strong taste x.x Bone broth worked way way better.

amber_autumn92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You CAN but Turmeric is a REALLY strong taste and your cats might not like it. I personally mix it in with bone broth because that kind of masks the taste a little. Though I've also used salmon oil, but that wasn't as effective because it's also a strong taste x.x Bone broth worked way way better.
Awesome, thanks so much!

amber_autumn92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It might be that he will needs weeks - maybe longer - where he is confined to a smaller space so as to minimize aggravation to his injury. It almost sounds as if the treatments he has been given have helped enough that he feels more like using his paw, and that ends up delaying the healing process. You might ask the vet about this.
I had the same thought, I just feel so bad putting him somewhere confined. But if that's what is needed for him to heal, that's better!

amber_autumn92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately we don't know what initially caused the injury. He was a stray we took in about 2 years ago. He had some issues from being malnurished...perhaps he's still a bit vulnerable to things. He's pretty much only indoors now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might look at some cat supplements on Amazon for joint/muscle inflammation and see what they recommend by researching the reviews. It wouldn't hurt. I give my cats who have Leukemia daily DMG and they have been much healthier. DMG helps with the immune system. I just sent for some cat Dinovite which I'm hoping will help with one cat's allergy problems. All meds are given in Delectable Lickables in the stew, a cat treat. I have not had a cat refuse it yet, even when terribly sick.