Swollen Paw Issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we are on week 3 of the medication. The start of anyway really. I've not seen further improvement yet. It's plateaued a bit. If there's none at the end of this two week we'll revisit again. Everything I've read does say two months though so I'm trying not to worry too much and take it day by day.

Her poop seems somewhat, sort of stable. Still a bit runny soft again so I'm watching. I'm hovering over everyone right now as the giblets gave them all runs. So with that and the added fiber - ah - opps. Crap. Litterally.

So I axed the fiber for now and am keeping it to straight up pumpkin all around.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight went fairly poorly. She really fought me on her meds. *sigh*

I managed to get some -not-so-great pics of her paw. I'll try to get some better ones.

You can see the metacarpal is swollen the left side lobe though is starting to take a form again. It's wasn't much worse than this. The lobe wasn't all that visible on the either side though and there spots were red and raw before . It din't crack open and bleed at any point that I'm aware of.

It was really had to get a not blurred pic that close though. Did the best I could.

The one has a blue hue as I did try to correct it to get it less blurry. Total fail.

Attachments

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it oddly looks worse on camera I think. Unless I'm just seeing it with different eyes. I'm glad it's never cracked open and bleed on her though.

Thank you for that link! That looks like a really great idea!

So far all I've done (besides love and Meds) is tried to keep her poop stable, given a probiotic etc and washed everything with hypoallergic soaps. I thought that doing a food trial ATM is probably a bad idea with everything else *eeps* so once she's improved the next steps will be the above to get her immune system strengthened. I like what I'm reading so far. I might start that sooner once I can confirm the type antibiotics she's taking is okay with it - and of course - her poop!

Very true. It is frustrating as you wonder how much the foot is really bothering her, stuffing meds down her throat that you know she finds unpleasant and on top of that she'll be confused as to why you're tormenting her with it. You just want them better - like - now.

Phew that you are reading the same as me. Confirmation that it'ss slow progress is oddly comforting.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I think we are sadly at the stage where I'm going to very reluctantly see about a different med.

The past three days she's really fought me on it and I can tell it's taking a toll on her tummy. She's not tossed her cookies but her poop is still too unstable. She's a tough cookie so she's not going to show me too much. I have to try to go by her subtle sighs and that's anything but easy. I might give it another day or two. I'm so torn.

Checking her hydration tonight and she appears a bit dehydrated now as well. Ever so slight but still.

She is showing improvement daily. Small but I can see her paw taking back form. That being said, I'm not sure she can take a min of 5 more weeks on this medicine. It pains me as it's the best one for her to be on.

I'll call the Vet tomorrow and hope someones in as the clinic is reduced days atm.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put the call in and got a call back (Vet's not there today as I thought) so we'll know more tomorrow maybe. My spider senses are tingling though and I really hope no one expects me to drag her in and stress her out as there is no need. The plan was written prior to the other Vet taking her new job.

Last night we had straight-up, full on "Demon Face" - and that was her just knowing it was time for meds. I haven't seen that face in a while. (Demon face is when I know there is a potential for one of us to get hurt as it's full-on Feral Fight mode. There is no reasoning with her at that stage. It's back off and wait for her to decide on her own what she's going to do.)

I was paying real close attention to her because she's been very upset the last few days getting her meds - I'm not sure if it was a hiccup I saw or if she slightly threw up in her mouth. I tried giving her some kitty milk, and she likes that, to help hydrate a bit and it was a no go. I watched her more and it does appear as though her tummy is a bit sore. She's also a bit moody with everyone for about 2 hours after. That's new.

I don't mind fighting with her - it sucks - but I'll do what I have to do. I don't want what's suppose to help heal her - to hurt her :-(

It's a shame we'll probably have to change as the progress is looking good. *BAH*

I can even see where they took a chunk out of her for testing. :-( Ouchy. Healed up nice but still. Poor baby.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Giving a cat meds can be so difficult. I now realise how lucky I am with mine, no fuss or claws, just 'the face'. I hope you are able to find something that is easier for both of you. Let us know how it goes.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the Vet called tonight. I've not met this one yet, but he's super nice and absolutely incredibly smart. I'm sure I'll meet him sometime in the future, poor guys taking on a lot of extra work right now until they get an additional Vet so I feel for him. He was already way past when he should have been home so I'm grateful he took the time to call and spend some time with me.

We have a plan and I understand a bit more about some other treatments, one is still the steroids but you all know how I fell about that. (Last resort) There is another one we can try if I can't get her really stable on the doxy it's about double the cost but I'll go there if I need to too before steroids. I'll make it work somehow.

I'll be picking up two additional meds. One is, I think I have it right, Cerenia and the other is Metronidazole. We're going to start adding a bit of Cerenia and see how that helps her tummy. If it doesn't, we'll add the Metronidazole. Should both those fail, we would have to stop all and move to Cyclosporine.

Now everything I've read about Cyclosporine tells me that we'll have to hold off her vaccines until treatment is completed - but that's ok a few months late should be fine. Also if we have to go that root I'm reading her blood pressure, urine and blood should be checked before hand... which while I'm YIKES about having to drag her somewhere - I'll do what's needed.

Apparently it's good that she is already showing improvement after such a short time as it normally takes longer - so YAY!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its good to have a plan and it sounds like this vet will listen and work with you. It sounds as if he knows what he's doing and the fact that the progress is good is very encouraging. Well done you.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was very pleased speaking with him. It was a relief too. I admit I was worried. After having 3 incredibly bad vets in a row and finally finding two that are beyond awesome - the bar was pretty high.

Thank you! We is trying hard. :catlove:

I sorted with BH I have to be incredibly sneaky as by the end of the second day - she knowssssss the routine and I have to mix it up to keep her on her toes and as unaware as possible of what I'm about to do lol.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we're doing well I think. There has been a wee bit more improvement in the paw and I'll try to get a pic of that tonight so if someone else runs into this situation they can see. This week is week four on Doxycycline.

I've decided against the Cerenia for her nausea. Everything I am reading red flags the life outta me. Both on other (medical) websites and on here. She had one dose last night and that is the last she will see of it. It's absolutely not worth the risk. The pills are also not approved for cats. So nope. No how. No way. Not happening.

Feeding her extra seems to help a bit so that's what I'll do and I'll keep up trying to balance her. It's very, very hard but safer. I'll take the really, really hard but safer any day.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this is her paw at 4 weeks into Meds. You can see it beginning to really take proper form again. :-) Slow and steady we go.

IMG_1488-Oct30-BHPaw.jpg IMG_1491-Oct30-BHPAW.jpg

Edit to add omg the perspective of this makes her look like she has massive feet. I hope i don't give her a complex now LOL She's so tiny, with tiny feet.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The photos show a big improvement from the ones posted on 19th, looks like Braveheart is well on the way to recovery. You must feel so relieved to see the difference, makes all the hard work and frustrations worthwhile.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes :bliss:That's how I feel looking at her paw. She must feel a bit better too. I know she didn't show any signs of it bothering it, but looking at it - it must have been sore for her regardless of her outward appearances. It does make the guilt and frustration feel worth it to see it getting better.

We are at the half way mark. Four more weeks. I've managed to keep her tummy somewhat stable. Stable enough between the fiber, the pumpkin and the probiotic but I feel so bad giving her the meds. She looks at me like I'm trying to kill her. Poor wee one. Not much longer though and hopefully all clear and even more hopeful that it doesn't return any time in the near future.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have almost completed week 6 of her meds. No really improvement since the last picture but I think that's okay. It seems to have a cumulative affect so I'm not worried yet.

I changed her regular annual visit from Nov 11 to Nov 18th. She'll meet her new Doctor then; that's going to be interesting in itself considering her temperament, at that point she'll be very near completing her 2 months and we can formulate a plan from there.

She's wasted a lot of meds lately spitting a lot of it on me, or her, but all in all she's still being a trooper about it... that is providing I sneak attack and give her treats right after.