Swollen Paw Issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight it was foaming / drooling from the mouth trying to spit it out. *sigh* I'm lucky I left with my life.

I did go to her hidey hole and passed her some of her favorite treats so I hope maybe tomorrow she'll start focusing on getting a treat. :-)

PS I gave it to her at the side of the mouth - I'm so worried about doing it wrong and getting the meds, or the water after in her lungs. I'm pretty sure foaming / drooling is trying to get rid of the bad tasting meds and not that I did it wrong. :-\

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It's nice to have the affirmation that I'm doing it right. I over worry.

Yes, it would be nice if we could explain what was happening and why. I don't think they'd care lol they'd still give us a run for our money, but at least maybe it would help them to be less freaked out by it all.

Doxycycline is apparently a very yucky tasting liquid and it can irritate their throats. So wet food, or a syringe of water, has to be given right after. I chose the water as there was no way I was going to be able to force her to eat wet food after.

She did come right out of hiding when I shook her treat bag so thumbs up to you for that. :thumbsup:

XOXOXOXO

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we've now gone from soft poops to diarrhea on Sunday and Monday. *sigh* Naturally that started after I called her Doctor on sat with a positive update.

I've got some pumpkin I'll be giving her along with a probiotic (low dose to start) and will be stopping by the drugstore to grab some Metamucil / psyllium and will add a tiny bit to her food. I have until Friday to firm up her poopy before it ends up being a change in meds to probably steroids - which - yeah - avoiding of course.

I've been giving her extra food as she appears to be hungry but more often - and in doing so hoping that helps her with the meds. I know this medication is a tough one on the tummy and throat.

Bribery is a wonderful thing.
Yes, indeed it has been thank-you :-)

She's still mad at me for it but she is much more forgiving after the bribe.

Getting her to takes the meds however is a matter of first chasing her around first until she gives up the cat and mouse game.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope the diarrhoea clears up quickly, both you and Braveheart can do without it. Maybe some bland food might help, chicken,scrambled eggs. Why is nothing simple. Sending positive thoughts for solid poops to Braveheart.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! XOXOXO I'm stalking one kitty for Crystals (making sure he pees) - and now Braveheart for poop lol. I laughed a bit as the timing of 'Yep alls good" is so typical and I should know better by now that if something is going okay to zip my lips and not get excited.:lol:

Oh I can cook that's a good idea! Thought of Chicken but was worried Charlie might sneak some and we're pretty sure he's allergic to that or Turkey... but eggs.. eggs are great binders for the tummy! :D Thank you for that.

They sent me over Bravehearts clinic notes (I always get copies of reports and Doctor's clinical notes) and found out she had Apnea while having the biopsy. So I've highlighted that in her chart in case she ever needs to be knocked out again. Which, she may.

Scary.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm trying to do that. Look after me too. Soaking in a bath is a glorious thing!

Welp she is back and forth with her poops. Soft in some spots, liquid in other spots. The extra food and a bit of egg is helping. So thank you very much for that. I'm considering adding the psyllium husk as I think that binds as well?

The only reason Friday is the deadline is that her Vet is leaving the clinic and doesn't start at her new clinic for a bit yet. She is a dream vet. Her and Charlie's regular Vet are both super and the most amazing Vets I've ever been fortunate enough to meet. Charlie Vet is a lot more expensive (worth every penny though) and the other Vets at the clinic will only been working a few days, none of which I can make it up for.

She'll begin to see Charlie's Vet in November but in the meantime I need be able to get her meds. I'm sure Charlie's Vet would work within this - but I'm trying not to drop her in the middle of a story lol. The Doxycyline is a suspension with a finite life. (2 weeks and a day or two) that means I would need to refill is within the next couple of days.

I can't say enough good things about these two Vets. I struck pure diamonds finding them. Would love to see them at the same place.

Yes I am avoiding very seriously steroids if at all possible and this medication is a 4 -8 week before you can truly tell anything. So If I can keep her tummy good. It would be the best for her.

She's eating well and drinking well. Wandering around as if nothing at all is going on. Her paws are tucked under her when she rests. Eyes look good, Fur is silky soft. She's not tossing her cookies. The only thing is she is super needy so it makes me wonder if she's feeling sick, or in any pain.

Oh yeah - Reading her chart - she also has a fractured Canine. I called and confirmed with the Vet I was reading it right. Dang. I looked close at it this morning, putting my life at risk doing so. It looks stable. No discoloration etc. So no pulp exposure at this stage. *Small mercies*

But *sigh*

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update.Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself, you cant beat a hot bath, plenty of bubbles, a book and of course a glass of wine. Bliss.

Pumpkin is difficult to get where I live so I use psyllium and found it really good for both diarrhoea and constipation. I put a pinch on the food twice a day and by day 2 there is usually an improvement. I hope it works as well for you.

Good vets are hard to find, you are lucky and continuity is so important.

The poor little girl is having a tough time , I'm sure both of you could do without a tooth problem, one issue at a time please!! The tooth cant be bothering her much or even at all if she is eating. I hope she continues to make progress and is a good patient.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update.Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself, you cant beat a hot bath, plenty of bubbles, a book and of course a glass of wine. Bliss.

Pumpkin is difficult to get where I live so I use psyllium and found it really good for both diarrhoea and constipation. I put a pinch on the food twice a day and by day 2 there is usually an improvement. I hope it works as well for you.

Good vets are hard to find, you are lucky and continuity is so important.

The poor little girl is having a tough time , I'm sure both of you could do without a tooth problem, one issue at a time please!! The tooth cant be bothering her much or even at all if she is eating. I hope she continues to make progress and is a good patient.
Yes that is totally bliss!

I'm lucky, I can get pumpkin normally, right now it's our Thanksgiving so a bit harder, but I did have a stash. It seemed to work okay but not quite enough. The psyillium is helping a bit too, but we don't have good poop yet. It's still some soft, some liquid.

Extra food seems to help her tummy and I've added some Forti Flora - but her poop is definitely being a challenge.

I have a deep love and appreciation for these two vets and feel extremely blessed. Unfortunately, I've had a few seriously bad vets with some devastating consequences in one case. It's because of that that I get copies and read all the notes now and encourage others to do that same.

That's what I said to her - one issue per kitty and nothing is allowed to be serious anymore! I don't think the tooth is bothering her either as yes, she's having no trouble at all with food or hard treats etc. I will have to keep an eye on it though. From everything I know, it's not a good idea to have to have a canine extracted if it can be helped. So I'm really hoping we never get there.

She being a very good patient still. Small mercies!

How is Braveheart doing, any improvement?
Thank you for asking. XOXO

Yes. I am starting to see the pad of her paw take shape again. It's very slow... veryyyyy slow progress... but I can see that it is improving. Regardless of the slow speed it's heading in the right direction of healing - so that is a win.

I reviewed pictures of other cases of pillow foot and am grateful hers didn't get near as bad as I've seen. It was irritated, dry in spots and red in others, squishy and swollen. (The pad mostly) I honestly thought, after trying to care for it myself, that she either had something stuck in it, or there was an infection under the skin from perhaps a small cut. It didn't bother her, or appear to be a bother to her in any way. Shocked by the diagnosis, but feel blessed that it's wasn't Cancer.

The girls and Charlie (Charlie's Angels as I all them), all got cooked heart, liver and some juices as a treat for Thanksgiving. They were very happy with that!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had caught you posting to our other member about paws. I’m so sorry our dear Braveheart is going through this. It’s been a rough year plus for you as well. I really hope the paw will return to normal and not have a reoccurrence. You’ve got enough to deal with already. The photo of Braveheart truly makes her look brave. Poor sweetie. She did well through it all. Removed her own bandage too! Smart girl. I once a a kitty with a broken leg. Unh! My baby would try to jump up but forget the weight of the cast! Half leaps were happening and I got ,” the look” every time. I was so glad she recovered and the cast could come off. I know she was too. We go through some stuff with our babies!
How is Charlie doing? I’m hoping that all is well with everyone very quickly now.
The clowder is joining forces with me to send a tidal wave of good vibes!
:silver::redcat::blackcat2::bicolorcat::lovecat2::whiskers::tabbycat::gingercat2::bicolorcat::bluecat::vibes:💨💞💕💞💓🌊 Coming your way!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi There Jcatbird Jcatbird :wave2::itslove:

Right after Bravehearts issue I began to poke around to try to learn what I could and found someone else had recently found themselves in the same spot. That reminds me I need to check in and see how they are making out! Hopefully good too.

Yes, this last year plus has certainly challenged me and tested me. I've learned a lot as well though. I'm really hoping that the uphill battle stabilizes soon though. I am taking whatever I can as a win and trying to focus there as much as I can.

She really has been very Brave. I'm proud of her. Even the Vet said she's come a long way in a year.

LOL omg when she removed her bandage in front of me I couldn't help but laugh. I still have it. Pathetically sentimental atm about that bandage. I joked I should have it bronzed for her.

She is very smart. Tonight I saw her chew at her paw and only had to look and say "No baby don't do that." and she stopped.

The Vet thinks she probably had this since she was Feral and it was only noticed as she's beginning to allow for close contact regularly. She will even come on me now as long as I am on the floor. Every morning and sometimes in the evening she talks and talks until I sit on the floor and she climbs on me, presses herself against me and gives me really hard head butts and rubs. If I try to move her to the floor the get up - she swears at me or instantly climbs back on.

Oh casts - yikes - ouch. I bet they forgave you quickly after it came off! We do go through things for them. Totally love.

White Label goes for her first annual vet visit on the 21st since her accidentally poisoning by the neighbors. I realyl hope it's all good. She's adapted to indoor life like she's always lived here. Complete lap cat. Total lovebug. that one.

Mia just had her annual a couple of months ago and she got the thumbs up. I was told she has the bloodwork on a 2.5 year old, so for 6.5 - I think that's a win. :cheerleader:She's still a bit skittish but is venturing out of her safe room more and more. Though she goes to the closet downstairs and sleeps there a lot during the day. Every evening she comes out and sleeps on the couch. Slow progress, but progress.

Charlie has his crystals back sadly. Vet think it's the new food, but I'm of course a little skeptical since the first time he had them it was stress and he was clean until the renovations. Plus that first time was before the food change. I really think that stressed him out and did him in but I'm TRYING to do what the vet wants, very unsuccessfully I might add due his uncooperative nature. Shocker eh? lol. That reminds me to update his thread with my lack of real progress. LOL I'm helicopter Momming him and so far he's peeing. *knock on wood* Constipated but pretty sure that's from the crystals. I wish more Vets would tell people that if a cat is constipated - look at the pee too and that can be the cause.

Thank you so much for the well wishes and good vibes, you and the beautiful Clowder!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOX :grouphug2::heartshape:

PS - Charlie and Braveheart have kind of a truce and uneasy one but one none-the-less.. Mia and Charlie seems to be doing okay now. Mia kisses him. It's sweet. He looks confused by it lol. White Label and him however, fights are breaking out so that's something of an issue that I'm not sure how to handle yet.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the kitties are all healthy, fights are less likely. Did you try a water fountain for Charlie? Bone broth? Fluid intake seems like it could help the crystals and therefore reduce stress. As things settle, all kitties should continue to make progress. You’ve come a very long way with them all though! Very long! They are all such sweet babies it’s very good to hear of the improvements, Bravo for all your dedication. I know it’s had it’s good and bad moments but boy those good ones are really, really good.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so as poor WL is terrified of him. It went from him trying to establish authority and her saying "Nope" and running off to her now fighting back if she can't run quick enough, or he does a sneak attack - and I do mean fight. I'm hoping they'll settle over time as he never used to mind her too much.

Charlie has always had a fountain as he refuses to drink from a bowl - shocking huh lol. When they found the blood and bacteria I tossed his old plastic fountain and immediately replaced it with a stainless steel. I think I might change it again to a ceramic and donate the stainless one as it's massive and he seems to like the ceramic ones the girls have downstairs best. He gets bone broth in every meal (3 times a day the wet) and take uroMAXX. He drinks plenty too. He pees first thing in the morning, very concentrated pee and normally a fair bit. A few times he's freaked me out with half as much as normal. It's a puzzle. He's always been a puzzle though hasn't he? There is something still missing. One thing I'll be doing is requesting a Vit B test. Everything I've read leads me to believe he needs that checked with the tummy and allergy issues. Could that have and effect on water absorption / processing etc. ? I don't know but it's worth exploring. IMHO

Thank you. I think we've all come a very long way too and yes, those good moments are so good. Mia's first real poop, WL's first real unlaboured breath, BH's first moment of real trust, Charlies first sleep where he looked not in pain anymore and his full head of butt hair!

These I hold onto as we go through the "Sigh. Not again. No, no no." times - like BH's paw. lol

XOXOXOX

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it got down to the wire today but I'll be picking up more meds tomorrow morning. *phew* The impression I'm getting is that the Vet that took over *may* have really wanted to see BH but that wasn't going to happen. There is no way I can drag her down a 30 min car ride right now. So we have a pass for now. *phew and phew*

I did have a plan b, c and a long shot d in case we ran into an issue but thankfully didn't need them.

We'll keep her on the doxycycline for now. If her poop keeps teetering bad like it is (it's unstable at best)- we may need to revisit other options. I hope not though.