Swollen Paw Issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry it's been so long - a lot has been happening so I've not been able to spend the time here that I wanted.

Here is Bravehearts update.

So every time I took her off the sucralfate her choking returned and it was always right after the doxycycline. Just before her vet went on maternity leave we had decided to try to see what would happen once she was off. (The doxycycline that is. She'd been on it a long time - longer than normal.) The vet that is on for her right now was so so on this idea.

Her foot had stagnated. It wasn't worse - wasn't improving further. The purple was all gone and the swelling 90% + of it. What remained appeared to be deformed due to the constant swelling - and not swelling from the pillow foot.

I made an executive choice, because of the choking; as it was getting bad .... so mid May she went down to 1/2 doses. The end of May off the doxycycline completely.

I am happy to report that once off it - the swelling improved a bit further for a few weeks.

Now - almost perfect.

No purple - no crackly. I check every week to make sure she is stable. There seems to be an abnormality from the constant swelling she had - but that's it. (It's now 3 months since she's been off the doxycycline.)

*knock on wood* I think we're all good.

Her annual physical is in November and they'll take another look then to see if there are changes.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update, Ive been wondering how Beaveheart has been doing. Well its good news, its been such a long process for both of you but your winning.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey FeralHearts - yeah, it's been forever.........for sure, long enough that I needed a little refresh!

So, it seems the paint has dried.....didn't want to say that too loud, though - yeah, the knock-on-wood thingie :lol:

A question about the sucralfate....did you give it before and after the doxy? And, how much of it per dose?

Using that with doxy is an excellent technique, IMO much safer than a 'simple' chaser of liquidy things. 'Have to remember that one!

And, the black stool....gone?

My gawd.........what a journey this has been for both of you! NINE months of this (that number will be meaningful to lotsa folks here!). How IS Missy B? How has she weathered it? Anything residual in her presentation/attitude? It seems that, despite everything, you're doin' OK - sure hope so!

Now, before you leave this thread in the dust..........I think (at least one) final portrait of the Braveheart is in order:agree:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update, Ive been wondering how Beaveheart has been doing. Well its good news, its been such a long process for both of you but your winning.
Thank you. With everything going on - we really needed this win. :cool: I hope this is it and I never see it ever again. I'm keeping her on the, niacinamide and she takes that okay. I'll reduce it as we go but I think I will keep her on a least a low dose forever for her immune system. Now that's she's over the worst - I'm looking at your recommendations from the start of all this (the supplements) to see if we can't get her immune system strong strong!

Hey FeralHearts - yeah, it's been forever.........for sure, long enough that I needed a little refresh!

So, it seems the paint has dried.....didn't want to say that too loud, though - yeah, the knock-on-wood thingie :lol:

A question about the sucralfate....did you give it before and after the doxy? And, how much of it per dose?

Using that with doxy is an excellent technique, IMO much safer than a 'simple' chaser of liquidy things. 'Have to remember that one!

And, the black stool....gone?

My gawd.........what a journey this has been for both of you! NINE months of this (that number will be meaningful to lots a folks here!). How IS Missy B? How has she weathered it? Anything residual in her presentation/attitude? It seems that, despite everything, you're doin' OK - sure hope so!

Now, before you leave this thread in the dust..........I think (at least one) final portrait of the Braveheart is in order:agree:
It has, been what seems like forever, with covid, work, the kitties and a few health issues I had to get looked at (so far so good on that) it kept me busier than I'd have liked.

Whispers: I see no pillow foot. *taps wood again*

Sucralfate was given an hour before food or meds. That medication needs to coat their insides and giving any food, meds etc prior to that can cause it to get stuck in their throats eppps!. (You can also change that to 2 hours after a meal instead but I found the 1 hour before worked best for us) Think of it like a liquid band-aid. It coats and protects. I did chase the doxy with a tiny bit of water but without issue.

The dose was 1.5ml every 8 hours. (Mostly she got it twice but the vet said in her case that was okay.)

For the first two weeks it was given to her 2 -3 times per day and after that only before her meds. Three times she had to go back on the sucralfate for 2 -3 times a day, but only for a week and then back to just before her meds. I will say - their was a debate among other vets about keeping her on the sucralfate the amount of time we did but it was the best thing for her. If we couldn't get the black poop to stop it would have meant a scope. Considering she stop breathing the last time they put her under - that was considered an absolute last resort.

Black stool - goonzooooo :-)

I have the sucralfate on hand if it rears it's head a bit but I really think it was caused by the fact we had to have her on the doxy for so long. It was wreaking havoc on her.

Miss B weathered it great. She was a trooper. Her personality is back. More playful. She's starting to finally explore more of the house. She acts like a kitten, her energy level is great and she is chatty chatty. I'm 110% loving seeing her back to herself. She's not even holding any grudges against me! She's certainly a remarkable girl. I'm proud of her.

Once I get her sister back from the DR today (as Bravehearts mad at me about that) I would grab some pretty pics of her and her footsies and post so you can see.

:grouphug2::dance:

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay first up: Sexy feet pictures!!!

The left one is the Pillow foot. You can see there is scarring from the biopsies and a tiny bit of dryness but look at those sexy feet!!!!

IMG_1799-sexyfeet.jpg
IMG_1801-sexyfeet.jpg

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was not happy about getting her picture taken. But.... I got two today!

Her Royal Majesty... Braveheart!

IMG_1787-HRMBH.jpg

IMG_1768-HRMBH.jpg

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A nice one of her and one of her sisters, WL (White Label) a month or so back... sleeping peacefully. They are both quite small kitties. So cute together.

IMG_1645-bhandWH.jpg

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fab feet, looking really good, you must be so pleased and Braveheart must feel comfortable now.

Totally thrilled! Yes. :-)

I originally thought she developed pillow foot after she was brought inside but it appears she had that all the time she was living feral. While outside I could pet her and give her once overs, there was no way she was showing me her feet. So that's a long time not having good feet.

Yes, she looks like she feels very comfortable. So much more herself. (I'm certain being off those meds helped with that too!)

Unless something changes, they'll check her in November to make sure it's all good but the general though is anything left over is damage - but not painful to her. YAY!! Does the happy dance.

There was a point, I remember, getting worried about having to try a new med, or that the paw was not going to get better. The one medication was very expensive and required her heart monitored. The only other alternative would have been a steroid and I was like "Yeah, let's not go there. That's a last resort." Very relieved we didn't have to go either of those directions.

I hope this never, ever, ever comes back.