Swollen mammary glands after spay

froggy89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a 5-year-old female cat. She was spayed about 2 months ago. Shortly after the surgery the last two breasts became very swollen. The vet suspected it was a hormone issue that had not yet calmed down and told me to wait. Nothing is known about the history of the cat, she was found on the street. So we have no idea if she was pregnant and when.

Recently I went to to vet to check on her again. They did an ultrasound and x-ray, which showed a cyst in the gland area, plus slightly enlarged lymph nodes in the belly area. Blood and urine results are normal. The doctor recommended either further observation or puncture of the lymph nodes and abdominal lesions. I opted for further observation because the doctors are still betting on hormones.
It's already been 2 months since her spaying, she's been with me for a month now. So far the last row of mammary glands is still enlarged. Yesterday I noticed that one of them is leaking a transparent fluid (like water).

Has anyone had this happen before? I'm terribly worried that it could be a tumor. However, it would be strange for it to appear after castration.

Please find attached pictures shortly after surgery and from today.
e1419a74-ffee-487f-bd4c-d9742bf9651a.JPG
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_7672.JPG

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry no one has responded to your post yet! I really have nothing to offer, but did want to ask you if you have called the vet about the leakage of fluid. Setting cancer aside, I have heard the weeping of mammary hyperplasia (benign tumors) could suggest infection, so I think the vet should be told about this new development as they may decide they would like to take a look at her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would proceed with investigation about this. You have given it time for hormones to calm down and at 8 weeks there is still leakage. All evidence of surgery should be over by now. I have not ever had this happen in a female cat but please do not jump to the worst. There are a lot of conditions between something odd is going on and cancer, but I would go back to the vet.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would proceed with investigation about this. You have given it time for hormones to calm down and at 8 weeks there is still leakage. All evidence of surgery should be over by now. I have not ever had this happen in a female cat but please do not jump to the worst. There are a lot of conditions between something odd is going on and cancer, but I would go back to the vet.
Agreed. Back to the vet! Or a different one. But to a vet!