Swollen Lip - Advice?

frankiecatsle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everybody! I'm new around these parts but I'd love some advice or maybe even some past experiences.

I noticed my cat Frankie had a swollen lip about a week ago. At first I wasn't entirely sure it was really swollen but after a day or so it became obvious. The vet we used to go to recently went out of business so unfortunately I had to call a new one! Anyway, made an appointment but fully expected to hear it was just an allergy, get a steroid shot, go home and start narrowing down possible allergies.

Well, the morning of the appointment I noticed not only was her bottom lip puffy, but it looks like the area around her whiskers (on her right side) also looked kinda swollen. It felt normal but definitely looked puffy. So in we go and this new vet pretty much just shrugged. She really has no idea what it is but said she doubts it's allergies b/c of the place around Frankie's whiskers. Still gave a steroid shot just in case and sent us home with antibiotics in case it's an infection. (Wow, let me tell you...giving a cat liquid antibiotics made me feel like Steve Irwin). Vet also mentioned it could be a cyst or mass under the skin but to try the meds first to see if it goes down.

Personally, I'm concerned. She's been on antibiotics for 24 hours now (as well as the steroid shot) and no improvement. I really don't think it's a cyst or mass since it's in two different places in her mouth. Other info - she seems perfectly fine otherwise and doesn't even seem bothered by her mouth. Vet checked her teeth and said they look okay too. Frankie's always been an indoor cat and while we do have one other cat, they're both fully vaxxed, no fleas, and are always indoors.

Any experiences? I was totally expecting allergies and now I'm just worried. If it were only her bottom lip that was swollen I'd feel a bit better but the vet seemed dumbfounded because of the area by her whiskers.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So hard to know what it might be. And if the vet couldn't tell, well im not sure we could either. I think i would give it a few days, if no improvement take her back in. the same vet or try a different vet if you were not really happy with this one? Sometimes you have to try a few different ones, before you find one you really like. Hopefully she will be all better soon! :crossfingers:

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome! Antibiotics usually take a day or two before you see improvement. Steroids take a few hours.

I can totally understand your Steve Irwin moment!

I think the vet did the reasonable thing. There was no threat to the cat’s life (such as a blocked airway), so she treated the easily treatable causes and left the more complicated procedures (like a biopsy) for a later time, in case the antibiotics don’t work. However, if she didn’t explain her thought process to you or if she just rubbed you wrong, that’s a reason to change vets.

Please keep us updated on Frankie’s progress. Sending healing vibes your way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankiecatsle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the replies! The new vet was definitely...an experience. I'm so used to the old place that would tell me best case scenario, worst case scenario, things to watch for (which I forgot to ask this one), etc. I guess that's definitely adding to my stress as I'm a worrier by nature. :paranoid:

I'm also used to human babies who typically feel a lot better after 24 hours of antibiotics. :lol: We've only been cat owners for about two years and have been blessed do far with very healthy kitties and my mind is going to worst case scenarios. Frankie seems perfectly fine minus her mouth being swollen so I'm hoping that a good sign. Will KUP!