Swollen hip 7yr old male

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You still have the vet appointment on Wednesday? He is peeing enough during the day? If he is inactive and eating less, it might explain the lack of poop, or possibly it is painful for him to stay in that position so he is bypassing trying? Do you think he has a fever which is not out of the question since we don't know the exact injury. I do agree that moving him around might not be a good thing to try without knowing what it might be doing to him.

If I were you, I would call the vet on Monday morning, unless this all takes a downturn and you have to ask for an emergency appointment, and discuss all the symptoms and see if they can fit him in sooner.
Yes, Still got the appointment. The only thing that will happen with it is me trying to move it up if he seems to get worse. Right now he's the same or slightly better. He seems to be walking a bit better. I can touch his hip with light pressure and he isn't growling at me.

He does get up and pee a couple times during the day and he gets up and pees at night. It is possible that pooping hurts to much plus he's stationary and eating less than normal. He seems to be drinking about the same. His fever may have come back too. I think the swelling has gone down some even.

Yes. I will try calling the vet tomorrow and see what advice they have. Not sure if I can get his appointment moved up but if they think he's in need they will set him up as a drop-off and make him comfy and observe him and do an exam and then call when he's ready to be picked up. Usually a few hours. My mom's going out of town tomorrow, but I do have transportation to and from the vet if I require it. I'll have to figure out payment though.

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what happened. But my boys hip is more swollen than it was. I'm concerned he's doing more damage and I dont have a cage large enough to do cage rest in nor can I go buy one. Hopefully no harm was done. He seems fine with me touching his hip still and he's really warm again but walking like he has been. *sigh* Calling the vet when they open in 4 hours. Scared for my boy. May need to.set up.the small cage I have and put him in there when I cant supervise him. Dont know what else to do. Hopeing this can still heal without surgery.

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I called the vet's office. Got a bit of reasurance but nothing else. They also have no openings sooner than our already scheduled appointment.

Anyway the vet said that he's not going to poop if he's not eating that much, which he's not. His food intake has dropped off since he got hurt. He's still eating a bit, though. Drinking fairly normally and getting up to go to the litter box 3-4 times in 24hours, so he's okay according to the vet and will be seen wed after noon as scheduled, and I'm already doing everything I should be doing for him, apparently. It feels like there should be more I can do.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay, so you did get a helpful response from the vet. The lack of appetite is definitely causing the lack of poop, so it is not like you are suddenly looking at a whole new issue. He is drinking and peeing which is good. Can you use a bathroom for a couple of days to confine him? Rearrange furniture temporarily to make a little enclosure for him? I agree that saving your money until Wednesday is a good idea and then you will know if he needs to be confined, how much, etc.

It is already late morning, at least in LA, so you are getting close to the appointment. If he seems stable, try to hang on. If something changes drastically, try for an ER. Whatever they do will be forwarded to your vet, so it won't be as if both will do the same xray, etc.

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope bathroom wont work as we only have one. It would also be UNSAFE due to the possibility of him falling trying to get on the sink or toilet and I am not going to eat and sleep in a bathroom to watch him. I have a cage that I can put him in while sleeping or if I need to run an errand but it's way to small to keep him in more than a couple hours really. It's mainly used as a transport cage. but he's pretty much put himself on bed rest and sleeps on my bed with me. He uses the pet stairs to get to the litter box and back. He will only jump up or down if the stairs arnt accessible.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That sounds as if you have it under control and, since you have pet stairs that he uses, you really only need to keep an eye on him. Use the carrier as needed to protect him. It is not like you are locking him inside permanently.

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. Though honestly he did it himself. I got him comfy and he's taken it from there cosing to stay put for the most part.

Also I dont know if the vet here even has an x ray.

The only good things I really have is my boy seems to have good movement in his hip so it may not be broken or dislocated. I'm thinking strained or sprained wont know anything for sure til he's seen by a vet.

Last edited:

classic67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi my 7 year old makes hip is pretty swollen in one area and he's also limping. He does put some weight on it. Noticed it about 2 days ago. It doesnt seem to be improving. I've set him up a comfy resting place on my bet with stairs to get up and down food water is near with the litter box on the floor. Vet seems to be closed for the holiday. I've been putting a cold pack on the swollen area a couple times a day for about ten mins wrapped in a cloth. Will call the vet monday if necessary. Any other suggestions? What if anything should I be doing diffrent? I feel terrible that my boy's hurt and I dont know how it happened. He's also indoor only.
My 13 year old has arthritis in her hips and at one point overdid it trying to jump on her kitty condo. Shewas limping and dragging her leg. After a visit to the Emergency Vet, and some rest in her heated bed she's recovered. She still walks with a bit of stiffness, but I've been giving her Dasaquin supplements which is a joint supplement. I think this has helped her quite a bit. Good luck!

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad she recovered well from that. My boy isn't dragging his leg, but he's limping pretty good still, around a week later. He's put himself on bed rest, and I've helped as much as I can by putting food and water close by. The litter box is a little farther away.

Today, I'm concerned because he feels like he might have a fever and isn't really wanting to eat. He hasn't pooped since New Year's Eve, either. He also feels a little bloated this evening. I called the vet this morning and the person I talked to acted like it wasn't a big deal and told me there's not much more I can do for him than I am already and to make sure he's resting and not moving around much as there's no sooner appointments than the one we have scheduled. I'm not sure what to do besides wait for his appointment, and hopefully we're able to get him something for the pain he's clearly in. I feel terrible as I feel like I should have done something sooner than I did.

I took a fall myself last night, so am sore today. The last week has just been a mess for me. It can only get better from here. Hoping for goodish news on Wednesday.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Please let us know what you find out tomorrow. You are taking excellent care of your boy, so stop telling yourself that you could do more.

Have a list of questions and concerns for the vet, especially since you waited for this appointment.

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please let us know what you find out tomorrow. You are taking excellent care of your boy, so stop telling yourself that you could do more.

Have a list of questions and concerns for the vet, especially since you waited for this appointment.
I will. Thank you. I've been trying to remind myself of that.

Yes, I have a text document already with notes and concerns.

Right now, I'm most concerned that he's pretty much stopped eating entirely. He'll drink the gravy or broth from me adding water to kibble, some canned tuna or some tuna flavored treats and that's about it. I'm trying to hold off on the tuna and treats as they seem to upset his stomach and I don't want him to get sick and start vomiting. He also hasn't pooped since New Year's Eve.

He still has okay mobility in his hip, but it seems to get more swollen by the day. Getting answers and a treatment plan tomorrow will be good.

classic67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad she recovered well from that. My boy isn't dragging his leg, but he's limping pretty good still, around a week later. He's put himself on bed rest, and I've helped as much as I can by putting food and water close by. The litter box is a little farther away.

Today, I'm concerned because he feels like he might have a fever and isn't really wanting to eat. He hasn't pooped since New Year's Eve, either. He also feels a little bloated this evening. I called the vet this morning and the person I talked to acted like it wasn't a big deal and told me there's not much more I can do for him than I am already and to make sure he's resting and not moving around much as there's no sooner appointments than the one we have scheduled. I'm not sure what to do besides wait for his appointment, and hopefully we're able to get him something for the pain he's clearly in. I feel terrible as I feel like I should have done something sooner than I did.

I took a fall myself last night, so am sore today. The last week has just been a mess for me. It can only get better from here. Hoping for goodish news on Wednesday.
I know what you're going through! I hope it helps to know that the emergency vet that I took my baby to gave her something for pain which she responded very well to. I think it was called Gabipentan. Do you have an emergency vet in your area? The reason we left our vet of 40 years is that they got to big and never had any openings if you needed them. My new vet leaves a certain number of appointments open daily for emergency situations. Sounds like with rest and meds your baby will be fine. Let us know how your little guy is doing. Don't be too hard on yourself,. we do the best we can with the knowledge we have. I hope you get good news today. I know how hard the waiting can be. I'm still waiting and praying for good results for my Shelby. It;s like like is on hold till we know our babies are ok. Hugs.

classic67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good idea. After applying ice to bring the swelling down a little, you should begin applying heat. This speeds up the circulation to the area and aids in healing. More ice at this stage would hinder circulation. A heating pad set to the lowest setting and covered with a small fleece blanket would be great. the best would be to get a cat heat pad or bed, usually made by K&H on Amazon and other sites. They use VERY little electricity, I have used them for years and my cats absolutely love them. All the luck!
I agree! We have 4 cats and 6 heated beds in the house. They LOVE these beds! One kitty has arthritis in her hips and it seems to help her. Highly recommend them.

CD1987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is with a broken heart that I write that Ashanti's boy had an abscess in his hip area. Blood work confirmed total liver failure requiring immediate and humane euthanasia.
The humans and other kitties are grieving but otherwise ok. I will pass on your words of support .
Thank you all for your support.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss.
Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect.

RIP Lovely Boy

:rbheart: :rbheart::rbheart::rbheart::rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.