Swollen Foot Pad

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all
My cat Louie who has HCM and CHF has a swollen left front paw pad.
It smells and looks really puffy. See pics
He is a ragamuffin so lots of fluff between toes.
I noticed him walking weirdly on it today.
Still eating OK and I pill him 2x a day with Lasix, atenolol, plavix.

I will be calling the vet tomorrow but what can i do now?
Its 11pm.

Attachments

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Well, the 'puffy' might have been a type of immune response - but, the smell? That is most likely indicative of infection......for which you'll need a Vet.

You said you would call the Vet "tomorrow"....which now is today. Have you called? If not, call now and arrange assessment and treatment - be sure to describe both the 'puffy' and the odour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, taking him in today. Unfortunately he gets VERY scared in the car/ at the vet. I'll have to calm him Gabapentin.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, good to hear that the cause is now under control!

Some antibiotics in some cats often enough seem to put a cat off his/her food - and more so if they are given on an empty stomach.

What often works in these situations is to give the cat some food before medicating.

Make sure to finish all the antibiotic, even if it's all healed before all the drug is gone. Should it still show signs of trouble as you run out of the Clavamox, speak to the Vet - you may need more.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics can make a cat less interested in food. Watch over the next day or so and if it's really low call the vet again. They can give Louie a prescription to help get his appetite up. Sometimes the antibiotic needs to be changed too if kitty is reacting negatively to it.

XOXOXO

PS Know all to well about the Gabapentin need. It can be such a help!

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THank you all. He has been taking clavimox 2x a day since Tuesday.

I try to give him some food before hand but he only eats / licks a little bit.

He eats some now but its less than normal. We have mirtazapine and I gave it to him yesterday and today which seemed to help a little.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okkkk update on this thread.

Now Louie's right paw has crusty black junk around the paw pad and toes, similar to an ear mites dirt look but on his paw, and the paw pad is starting to get swollen again.
I caught it earlier than last time and cleaned it out with iodine/water but it is not improving. He is starting to limp a bit and lick it alot.
Could this be allergies? Yeast? I've read a few threads on here about black junk on paw and it seems like there wasn't any definitive cause.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, while no one does 'Internet diagnoses', it sure sounds like a type of immune response to a real or perceived allergen, a condition commonly known as 'pillow foot'. 'Pillow foot' is one display of a condition called Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex.....have a read: Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center.

These areas can sometimes get infected - perhaps that's what showed up first, earlier on.

A competent Ver will be able to manage it - to confirm something like this, a sample is often sent off to a pathology lab.

Anyway.....you'll need the Vet - let us know what happens.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea calling the vet today..... just so frustrating...we just cleared this up on the left foot now its on the right!

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Took Lou to the vet today

He said his paw pad is definitely infected but doesnt know why
Nd doesnt know why it reoccured on a different leg again

Clavamox again...

He talked about giving lou a steroid shot but said I should ask lou’s cardiologist first... even though he thinks it wont harm him.

Also said it could be allergies or an autoimmune disease

So basically anything!!!
If i want diagnosi it need biopsy /and dermatologist and with Louie’s Chf and hcm i dont know if thats a good idea