swollen chin?

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently noticed one of my cats is sporting a swollen chin. When I smoothed my finger over her chin, I can clearly feel where the bump ends.She doesn't scratch at it more than usual, there's no wound or redness, and the hair looks a little sparse there likely due to the swelling. When I pressed lightly on the bump of her chin, she didn't seem too bothered. She's behaving and eating normally. I checked her body for more swelling or wounds, didn't feel any. There's also no apparent redness/swelling inside her mouth, no drooling. I'm not sure why she has such a bad swollen chin. Can this be a simple allergy? Or maybe she bumped into something and hurt herself? I recently switched them to wheat litter (wheat allergy?) and am currently switching them to grass litter to see if that helps.

Thinking about waiting another two weeks to see if there's an improvement. Since she was still a stray a few months ago, even though she's friendly, it would still be pretty difficult to get her into a carrier to the vet. I'm hoping to not have to put her through that. Does anyone know what this could be?

Attachments

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could just about anything. I would think any sort of allergy would manifest itself through a lot of scratching and open sores due to the scratching. Swelling would seem to lead to a possible of gum/teeth issue - maybe something you can't see? Cats endure a lot of pain before it starts to interrupt their eating and drinking, so don't assume there isn't a bit of discomfort that she is experiencing even if she doesn't act like it. Is the lump soft or hard? Moveable, or not moveable?

If you don't feel as if you can get her to the vet soon, just keep a close eye on it and see if it continues to grow in size. I would be checking it out daily, and also watching her for signs of pain/discomfort, or even open sores from scratching. You could consider asking your vet if they could recommend another vet who makes home calls, just to come out and take a look at it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a pretty fair-sized swelling. If it doesn't significantly improve within the next few days, I'd either take her in or have someone come to look at it. I don't suggest waiting as long as two weeks. I'd go 3-5 days. Try taking photos daily, to see if it is increasing or decreasing. If it grows, take her on in as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner The bump is not super hard or soft, not squishy or moveable. I'll definitely keep an eye on her. Really hope it's not gum or teeth inflammation, but I saw her smacking her mouth a bit tonight. I just recently moved to a different borough, will have to start with a new vet and find someone to do home call.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Great idea. Will keep track with photos!

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 no change :\ I'm taking her to the vet next week. she was supposed to go last week, but I couldn't get her into the carrier. we are practicing feeding in the carrier. one of my other cats is starting to have a similar situation with the chin, I don't know if anything in the house is irritating their skin. I switched out their cat litter to an old one for now, just in case.

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
got her to the vet today! there's not much of a conclusion though. vet is leaning towards some type of allergic reaction to plastic or food, things their chins can come into contact with. since we use metal and ceramic bowls, he suggested switching their food to rabbit/duck. anything not chicken as chicken is a big allergen(i did not know that). they gave her a shot of antibiotics for the infection and gave me some antiseptics to follow up with for 2 weeks. hopefully she will feel better soon.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! I was having a health issue (NOT that dratted virus), and didn't get back until today!

• Purraise
Reactions: suh

snoworeo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
got her to the vet today! there's not much of a conclusion though. vet is leaning towards some type of allergic reaction to plastic or food, things their chins can come into contact with. since we use metal and ceramic bowls, he suggested switching their food to rabbit/duck. anything not chicken as chicken is a big allergen(i did not know that). they gave her a shot of antibiotics for the infection and gave me some antiseptics to follow up with for 2 weeks. hopefully she will feel better soon.
Greeting suh . My cat suffer from the same problem. Can u give me an update if the treatment worked for your cat .
Thanks

S suh

Last edited by a moderator:

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greeting suh . My cat suffer from the same problem. Can u give me an update if the treatment worked for your cat .
Thanks
S suh
Hi snoworeo snoworeo , the antibiotic injection got rid of her swollen chin. I'm pretty sure now she's allergic to chicken. It's never happened again after we stopped giving her real chicken meat and also switched her to non-chicken food.