Swollen Cat Paw/digit

KirbyBird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 4 months old. He recently developed swelling around a claw. It appeared to have been broken and was swollen a week ago so we washed it and dressed it and the swelling went down for the most part. Now it’s back and he won’t walk on his paw. You can see the selling is happening around the nail. The nail is barely sticking out. Suggestions? Probably take him to the vet? right?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KirbyBird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to clarify, The nail appeared to be broken a week ago. Not the paw or digit or claw.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes take him immediately to the vet there looks like there is pus in the pad and may will burst soon. Antibiotics are probably needed I would not wait.

KirbyBird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I gave him amoxicillin 16mg. I’ll just bring him into the vet because I agree.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be the wrong antibiotic or not given long enough this needs vet supervision there also could be something stuck in the pad. Also I’m sure your cat is in pain.

KirbyBird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could be the wrong antibiotic or not given long enough this needs vet supervision there also could be something stuck in the pad. Also I’m sure your cat is in pain.
Good advice. Thank you

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Please let us know what happens. It is true that you need the right antibiotic and it does look infected to me as well. It could be the pic, but I had this happen once to a cat and a foxtail type thorn was lodged in the foot.

KirbyBird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
positive progress. No signs of a sprain or break. Nothing lodged in the paw thank goodness. The correct antibiotics will be given for 5-7 days and a pedicure from the vet after that. Also nightly cleanings. He’s no longer holding his paw up when he stands. Swelling is slowly coming down so his claw can retract and the nail isn’t being surrounded by swelling.
52704B0F-D0CF-4DD6-9A31-4E7B1A546C47.jpeg