Swollen bump under jaw

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat and I just noticed swelling under his jaw. Doesnt seem to be injured but its strange. He is still being treated for a bite wound on his leg, with antibiotics, which has mostly cleared. Is this anything of concern?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its around the left side of his neck too

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While being treated for his leg, did the vet take a look.

I thought my cat bumped his chin on the bed or counter which he had done in the past but it turned out to be serious.  Cancer.  I don't want to alarm you but you should call your vet.

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didnt even notice it till yesterday. It wasnt there before. I think it might be a lymph node, but he is fairly young, about 12-18months. He doesnt have much problems eating, but he's out most of the day. He lost a bit of weight too. When we had him vaccinated near the end of march, he was 4.2kg, last time we weighed him he was 4.07kg. Maybe the weather has something to do with it?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the weather has anything to do with it. Between the weight loss and your thinking it might be a lymph node, you should have a vet check him out.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didnt even notice it till yesterday. It wasnt there before. I think it might be a lymph node, but he is fairly young, about 12-18months. He doesnt have much problems eating, but he's out most of the day. He lost a bit of weight too. When we had him vaccinated near the end of march, he was 4.2kg, last time we weighed him he was 4.07kg. Maybe the weather has something to do with it?
I noticed this past holiday season a lump on left side, it was the size of my pinkie tip. and slowly got bigger, but now thinking back last summer, he started drooling a lot, lost weight threw up often and not always hairballs but he was eating lots.  We chalked it up to being that he only ate dry prescription food.  The oral cancers can effect young as older cats.  I would urge you to call your vet.

Please keep in mind, when caught early it can be treated or if that's not an option, they can live for a while living a fun filled life.  My boy just celebrated his 13th birthday today, and the vet didn't have him seeing past Feb 15th, 4 days after he was diagnosed...

Call your vet...  Weather shouldn't have anything to do with it.  I'm no expert...  

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Caled vet today. He told me to come back on tuesday for a followup. I guess we gotta go further if it doesnt get better by then. Its definitely noticeable. About 2 inches wide. It doesnt seem to bother him but i could be wrong. I really hope it isnt something serious

Last edited:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Caled vet today. He told me to come back on tuesday for a followup. I guess we gotta go further if it doesnt get better by then. Its definitely noticeable. About 2 inches wide. It doesnt seem to bother him but i could be wrong. I really hope it isnt something serious
Simon's started as a pea, which is what I thought was from banging, then it turned into a long bump like my pinkie, all within a couple of months. but he slipped a few times so we thought it was that, then it progressed quickly.  I'm glad he's going back for a follow up.  With my boy, it didn't seem to bother him until it was too late.

Fingers crossed it turns out to be minor.  That would be great.  Keep me posted.  Good luck...

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's starting to seem more irritable and shedding plenty of hair. He feels really skinny, although his weight hasnt changed too much. He gets annoyed when we try and pet him anywhere.

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took him into the ER. It was a large abscess that needed draining, and some antibiotics