Swollen Bottom Lip! Please Advise If You Can...

Danielle-Minnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have looked at this website lots in the past for advice and tips for looking after my rescue 4yr old cat. We have had her for 3 months and she has only started going outside this last week as she had an op and had to have the cone of shame on for a long time. But now have a problem with Minnie and we can't get to a vet until Saturday. It seems to have popped up out of nowhere... and even though she seems happy, drinking, eating, sleeping normal and grooming herself I am so worried!! Has anybody else had this with their cat? She is flea treated every 4 weeks and treated for worms ever 3 months as the CPL were convinced she has a flea allergy. As I said the only new thing is her venturing outside...

Thanks in advance
Danielle xx

IMG_3059.JPG
IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3061.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danielle-Minnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry about the pics I promise we were being gentle with her just trying to get a proper picture...

Last edited:

Danielle-Minnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi danteshuman, is this a picture of your cat and have you found out what's caused it?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat got the same thing. Take your cat to the vet to more than likely get a steroid shot. Then comes the HARD part figuring out what your cat is allergic to (could be fleas.) Ask your vet about an antihistamine for your cat (On the second steroid shot trip, I told my vet some medication has to be healthier for him then get steroids.) He now takes chlorpheniramine whenever his lower lip starts to swell so it doesn't reach that point. Best of luck :)

Danielle-Minnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! She is booked in for Saturday morning. I'm wondering if it could be a flea allergy like the cats protection league said, now she's out and about. If this will happen all the time I am considering keeping her indoors as mean as it sounds. Do you buy the chlorphenamine over the counter as you would a human or get it on prescription from the vet constantly? I work in a pharmacy so this wouldn't be difficult to obtain! I've read about plastic bowls, she had one which she's drank out of for 3 or so months but anyway I've taken it up now and replaced with ceramic!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got it from the vet and cut a 4mg tablet in half for a 12 four dose. (my chunky guy almost weighs 13 pounds.) I know he is allergic to chicken. I think he might be allergic to fleas & plastic. So I eliminated plastic and give him Cheristin once a month 9 months a year. It is worth noting he only goes out in the backyard but we got a flea outbreak from one of our neighbors yards that had dogs. So I bought the special poison pellets that kill many bugs, fleas included.

In your case it might be easier to keep him inside as you try to eliminate everything he is allergic to ... then introduce a little of one thing at a time to see if he reacts.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like a rodent ulcer to me. According to my vet they are caused by an allergy to fleas. Easily treated by vet but can cause problems if left untreated

Danielle-Minnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thank you both. This is so frustrating as we have been treating her religiously as we were warned about her flea allergy! The minute we let her outside because she's all better from her skin problem on her back that has been going on since feb, this happens! There are two cats next door but 1 that keep trying to say hello and sniff her and they are jumping with fleas. This is how it's happened I'm sure. We wanted this to be the start of her having a settled, normal life with freedom to pop out and come back in when she wants. These cats and owner are moving away this weekend maybe things will improve xx

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its so frustrating when people with pets dont take care of them and that gives your pets a problem. Once they have moved things will change for her.

Danielle-Minnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I completely agree!! Thanks both, I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow <3 xx

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to say but just because the cats leave doesn't mean the fleas do. There could be flea larvae in the grass. Turns out the cold doesn't kill them; the bastards hibernate through the winter! If your cat has a severe flea allergy you might want to treat your yard with that poison I mentioned (and if their yard borders yours maybe sneak the pellets all over their grass after they move out.) Since fleas are everywhere, if your cat reacts to one flea bite; indoors only with backyard harness trips might be a better idea.

Danielle-Minnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's an allergic reaction and not to worry about it too much. The vet gave her a steroid shot and has given us some paste to put on it once a day to stop it getting infected, it's a dental paste but it's anti bacterial and it might help. She mentioned if it becomes a constant thing we can give her half a piriton twice a day. She said it could be fleas, pollen and the fact that Minnie is hypersensitive it could be almost anything to set it off. Xx

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good news it's nothing serious. I just read the reviews on it...all good. Not only will it clear her lip problem she'll have sparkling teeth too.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took my cat about a week for his lip to go completely down. He didn't get the ulcer though. Indoors may be the only way for her to be flea free. Like I said now I'm always checking his lip. The moment it looks a little swollen/red he gets basically a kitty benadryl. At least you know what your cat is allergic to already :)

Danielle-Minnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_3333.JPG
IMG_3334.JPG
Yes it's seeming like indoor might be the way forward. She now has tiny little lumps on her back, I think they are flea bites?!? Not sure, I will try and upload a picture. She is treated every 4 weeks with advantage but our vet keeps telling us to use bravecto. Has anybody used it on there cats? Me and my partner said maybe she needs to be a house cat but the minute you open the front door she is quick between your legs and out. Plus the only 'window' we have in our lounge are French patio doors. What's everybody's opinion is it cruel to keep her in? Also we have treated the house and do so religiously. Thanks in advance, Danielle xx

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Cherestin ... it is worth noting that lawns/yards/homes can become infested with fleas that you have to kill them off in your home. So if neighborhood flea careers are using the lawn/yard where your cat goes ... your cat will get a flea bite or two. Which is sadly all it takes for some cats to have an allergic reaction. You may need to treat your house & cat for fleas for a couple of weeks/months why she she stays indoors to properly kill off all the eggs/fleas. We get fleas from our neighbors flea ridden dogs & our semi feral that roams the neighborhood but is treated monthly (fleas do not respect the boundary of a wooden fence.) It may be worth asking your vet why she recommends that flea medication. Fleas in our area became resistant to advantage .... we found out the hard way last summer. 30$ a month to treat 2 cats for fleas and not have to worry about his lip puffing up all badly? Completely worth it :) It is cheaper for us to buy in bulk (6 doses) but it breaks up to 15$ /per cat/per month