Swollen Belly?

Kksalvatore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1C8361B3-A576-49FA-88A4-5C9FDAD67E2E.jpeg
Hey everyone! I’m new here. I’m looking for some help with my female orange cat who is about 3 years old.

She has always had a bit of a “round” shape to her body but recently I noticed that her abdomen looks more swollen on the sides than normal. Her appetite has decreased and she’s been vomiting occasionally (nothing crazy, usually clear with some just-eaten food).

Before I take her to the vet, I was wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar issue, or may know what’s causing her to look like this and whether it’s something to be concerned about.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If it were me, I'd make an appointment with the vet, since things are changing for the worse.
Sending lots of good thoughts!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her tummy is obviously upset (vomiting, loss of appetite), and a swollen belly could indicate blockage by who knows what, constipation, bloating from IBD or something else, parasites....and the list goes on. She'll need a vet visit to make a diagnosis because there are far too many things that it could be.
Good luck at the vet, hopefully it's something easy to treat, let us know what they say. I hope she feels better soon.

Tv0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, what was th outcome at vets please? We have same issue.
Thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T Tv0 , I hope the original thread maker answers you, (it's an old post) I hope they got a diagnosis and found an answer. You might start your own thread and would get more answers. Pictures are always helpful, but being new it is hard to figure out. If it is something new, I would bring it up to the vet, even maybe send them an e-mail with a picture. If it has happened over time it may be a weight management issue, my Dutch looks just like that picture above and he is just overweight! I give him Purina Pro plan weight management food now, he is relentless on his search for food......
At the top of the page, you will see FORUMS, tap that and then search the results for 'Cat Health'. Tap on that, and on the right in a gold box there is POST THREAD, tap that and then you make a heading and post.....

Tv0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the support!
Yes, could be just fat, the thing that is of concern though is distended belly bigger on the right side than the left, also dark brown paste smeared across left ear, not right - looks like an inflammation.
Thank you, might post a new thread. Makes sense to take to the vet, of course, however, the cat is neighbour's, just chose us for the last year, hence so vet won't see us. Also cat gets extremely stressed being at vets, no other symptoms, so wondered what was the outcome.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excessive drainage from ear doesn't sound good, you might try cleaning it out if he will let you by wiping it with a warm wet rag with half peroxide and half water. A cat wound spray in a wet rag would be better, can be found at a farm supply store like Tractor Supply.
If the distended belly is bigger on one side, he may have a tumor. I pray not, I wonder if you could somehow get him in for one visit....the easiest way to load them is to stand the carrier up on its end and lower the cat into it from above, firmly grasping them by the skin in the back of the neck and supporting their bottom. If that is not possible , take several pictures of the ear and the belly and take that in, explaining you want to help but it is a stray.

Tv0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An update from vet if of any interest.
Lots of fat around kidney. Weight is 15lb too much for a domestic cat.
We feed what seems to be great quality, complete, cooked food, in quantity to lose weight. The only issue is generous neighbours who put dry (i want to cry, not fan) or canned, ful of rice (insulin spike=diabetes) food by their doors, and utterly ignorant of our comments, i heard 'Thats too bad if cat is getting obese', i.e. not my problem. I see the point, but there are no hungry cats around, all have home from my observation and talks around. This generosity only attracts foxes that i have seen, hence cats 'disappear', ours sleeps outside sometimes - his preference that terrifies, very much outdoorsy, wouldn't lock him in).
There are shelters to contribute, why to those who dont need any extra? Honestly, half of cats around us (about 15 in total) are totally fat.
Oh dear... Where do we move to...
Rant is over.