Switching To New Flea Prevention Medicine

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long should I wait? I gave them some OTC drops about two weeks ago. They did not work at all. The vet gave me Revolution to administer but wasn’t quite clear on if I should wait a full 30 to administer the new medicine.
I don’t want to harm their nervous systems by applying too soon, but I really need to get rid of this flea problem as I have a new roommmate moving with a dog who does not have fleas. Anyone with experience in switching flea drops?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually wait 4 weeks. Was it Frontline (Fipronil) that you tried? It can take up to 3 months to get rid of all the fleas sometimes.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you get some Capstar? This is a pill that kills the adult fleas on your cats. This does not kill eggs or larvae, and will need to be followed with a bath.
You might want to use another dose around the time you treat with Revolution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

I used Sentry for kittens, and it didn’t seem to do anything at all. I am considering the cap star, but I’ve used dawn and combed them so many times to just have them infested hours later. I’ve been vacuuming and changing sheets a lot, but it all seems relentless. I just feel bad for them, let alone the nasty flea dirt, luckily they aren’t biting me!

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
fipronil, the #1 veterinarian-recommended active ingredient2, and (s)-methoprene

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would consider a vet provided flea treatment and not Sentry. I've heard bad things about Sentry and Hartz treatments and that they can and have harmed pets. Either Revolution or Advantage drops on the cat.

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Revolution is what I will be using.

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to get the Capstar tomorrow, morning n the meantime. I can apply the Revolution in about 7 days.

Can anyone recommend a non toxic flea spray or powder that I can apply to my house? Or any other ideas for getting rid of fleas? My friend has been using diatomaceous earth. Anyone have any luck with that or can you suggest alternative sprays? Maybe natural methods? Thanks!

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ended up not having enough time to go to get the d earth but got the capstar. It didn’t kill the fleas. I gave them a bath about two hours later and there were fleas jumping around. They were pretty good about the bath.

I also bought some natural flea powder, very dusty and some natural flea spray. Then I saw a flea jump in maybe kitchen! Aughhhhhh

Belle Bosse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Revolution is very good from my experience.
Chantelle kitty had ears full of ear mites, and she was covered in ticks and fleas when she was rescued off the highway. Bath and flea poweder took care of the ticks and fleas, but not the ear mites. We bought the Revolution while home on R&R and administered it when we returned overseas. Revolution fixed the ear mites with the first treatment. Revolution was used to prep her for International travel and quarantine vet clearance.

The Seresto flea collar made her terribly sick... so what ever you do, DO NOT buy the Seresto flea collar. The synthetic pyrethroid chemical Permethrin cannot be broken down by the cat's liver as they do not have the enzymes needed to break down the toxin. She is still recovering, 7 months later.

We have gone back to Revolution which is safe for cats. Simon kitty needs flea cover all the time as he is sensitive to flea bites. Revolution gives him 3 weeks free of trouble, but the 4th week he begins pulling out his fur... so every month he is dosed. Chantelle gets 2 months cover from her dose.
I have not had fleas in the caravan this year, like we had the year before last before we got the flea collars.

Belle Bosse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Revolution is very good from my experience.
Chantelle kitty had ears full of ear mites, and she was covered in ticks and fleas when she was rescued off the highway. Bath and flea poweder took care of the ticks and fleas, but not the ear mites. We bought the Revolution while home on R&R and administered it when we returned overseas. Revolution fixed the ear mites with the first treatment. Revolution was used to prep her for International travel and quarantine vet clearance.

The Seresto flea collar made her terribly sick... so what ever you do, DO NOT buy the Seresto flea collar. The synthetic pyrethroid chemical Flumethrin cannot be broken down by the cat's liver as they do not have the enzymes needed to break down the toxin. She is still recovering, 7 months later.

We have gone back to Revolution which is safe for cats. Simon kitty needs flea cover all the time as he is sensitive to flea bites. Revolution gives him 3 weeks free of trouble, but the 4th week he begins pulling out his fur... so every month he is dosed. Chantelle gets 2 months cover from her dose.
I have not had fleas in the caravan this year, like we had the year before last before we got the flea collars.

Belle Bosse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry about this. I have not worked out how to edit. First post I wrote Permethrin by mistake. 2nd post was to correct it to Flumethrin. This is to clear the confusion... lol.