Switching my cat over to wet food… is wet food best served on a plate/ regular bowl or an elevated bowl?

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy Remi recently had a urinary obstruction caused by a urinary crystal. I know how important diet is in terms of prevention. I actually tried to switch him over to wet food a year ago before all this happened but he was quite stubborn and I caved after two weeks. I’ve done lots of research and am prepared that it might take several months to make the switch. So as I’m beginning the transition I wanted to make sure the new choice of bowls don’t further deter him from eventually eating the wet food. I am buying a drinking fountain as I know this will hopefully encourage him to drink more. I have been using elevated bowls since I got Remi. He’s never had issues with vomiting but I just thought they were better ergonomics wise. Remi sometimes paws his kibble out of the bowl and will eat it off the ground (defeating the purpose) so I am wondering if my best bet is to get a normal food dish instead of the elevated bowls. My other cat RiRi has no problem eating from the elevated bowls. Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Remi sometimes paws his kibble out of the bowl and will eat it off the ground (defeating the purpose) so I am wondering if my best bet is to get a normal food dish instead of the elevated bowls. My other cat RiRi has no problem eating from the elevated bowls. Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you!
Whether it is an elevated dish or not and if your cat paws out food from it, makes no difference.

Best is the food dish that has a low side and wide enough for the whiskers to fit in with a little extra space. Reason is cats are sensitive having their whiskers touching the sides of eating bowls while eating and that may cause problems and they may not eat from bowls.

Use a flat dish and preferably porcelain, ceramic or good grade stainless steel plate with a heavy base for your cat as these materials are more better as they don't give your cat chin acne but it'll be a good practice to soak the porcelain or ceramic plates with hot water once a day as micro cracks can still harbor bacteria but not as bad as plastic plates.

These are some of the low lip plates my boy eats from except the paw bowl as he does not drink water and the other smaller bowl is just for putting his spoon which has been changed to a stainless steel spoon.

IMG_3673-photo-full.jpg

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom said:
Best is the food dish that has a low side and wide enough for the whiskers to fit in with a little extra space. Reason is cats are sensitive having their whiskers touching the sides of eating bowls while eating and that may cause problems and they may not eat from bowls.
Definitely agree with this. I used a low-profile plate to get Willy started on wet food. Also bought a very large rubber tray, with raised edges, to allow catching food that he swipes off and spills.