Switching male tabby to all wet food diet - suggested brand?

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there; my male tabby is experiencing his 2nd infection since I rescued him two and a half years ago. The vet called him a stress cat when I got antibiotics for him last summer.

I believe in preventative and proper diet for this guy. Does anyone have suggestions on brand of wet cat food that's eliminated urinary infections in your cat? Thanks very much.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any canned food will help. It doesn't have to be a urinary specific formula. I'm not sure what canned food brands are available in Canada but try these threads for suggestions:

If stress is causing your cat's urinary issues, a diet change may or may not make any difference but certainly can't hurt and canned food is healthier for cats anyways. Keeping the stress levels low will help stress-induced urinary issues. Do you know what your cat's stress triggers are?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LT, my gosh, thank you for all the bountiful information on wet cat food in Canada and UTI's.

I personally need and live a very low stress lifestyle so there's not a lot of traffic in my apartment. We did move from my townhouse to an apartment a year ago and that may have troubled him. He no longer has my porch to sit on to people/bird watch or hide under a bush.

But he hid in my closet if a visitor comes over, no matter where we lived. He's allowed one girlfriend and my brother to actually pet and hold him (they're both gentle souls).

The shelter told me he was a therapy cat. I find that hard to believe because he can only handle short amounts of petting. He prefers me to hold him while I'm standing and walking around but only for a short while.

Couple behaviors I still haven't decoded is his tail flicks and mounting. His tail does short and strong flicks, almost a nervous body movement. And he mounts my girl cat and jerks his behind even though he's fixed. I've heard some male cats still do this even if they're fixed. Kinda makes me sad because poor guy gets glared at by Lil Cat and walks away, not understanding what's going on.

All in all, he's my wounded little soldier. Who knows what happened to him in previous life. I'm going to give him an all wet diet and keep on lavishing him with tender love. His eyes are just filled with a story that I haven't yet fully understood...