Switching Litter Box With Closed Cat Toilet

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So yeah, I'm fed up with swiping litter every morning, because his little majesty enjoys the digging so much. Every time he does his business he throws half the litter out of the box.

So I order one of those closed types. It's the biggest one I could find (62x52x50 cm) with a little door at the front.

So now I'm thinking, how do I switch them? Or better, how do I explain that this is the toilet now?

He is actually very well trained when it comes to that, he never went anywhere else except for the litter box (even the one nigh he accidentally got locked in the kitchen - when I let him out in the morning he run straight to the box to relieve himself). I just don't want him.to get scared of it and then refuse it.

Any experience with those?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, it's not automatic, just a covered one like this

IMG_20180805_203221.jpg

I'm just concerned he won't know that he needs to go in there :D

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might want to take the door off at first and maybe even take the top off. Move some of his “deposits” from the old box to the new box. I have four different box designs and it hasn’t confused mine. All have tops but I leave the doors off. With multiple cats I want them to be able to see out.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, it's not automatic, just a covered one like this
Oh, ok. Not sure why I thought automatic litterbox. Again, though, I think I'd put the new one near the old one, and let him investigate. He'll have to be comfortable with the door, the same way my Ruby had to learn to use her cat flap door. Course you can't entice him by throwing treats through the door like I did for Ruby. ;)

Taking the door off, as Pjg8r Pjg8r suggested, might help.

One thing to watch for, is pee leaking out through the seams between the 2 pieces. I had an uncovered, 2 piece litter box when I first adopted Ruby, and because she tends to pee standing up with her back against the litter box sides, pee occasionally seeped between the seams. So just something to keep in the back on your mind.

Good luck. Hope he starts using it soon. :crossfingers: And do let us know how it goes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the furniture end table looking ones, very nice and cats had no trouble adjusting. I did have the type pictured above for years, and i too left the doors off, my cats won't use it if it has a door. Leave the door off and I bet your cats will use it.
Oh, also. If you do get a wooden one, once you put it together, take it outside and spray it with a can of that clear 'rubber' leak sealer all over the inside. I found out that if one of your cats decides to pee standing up the wood DOES NOT hold up to moisture. It falls apart, keeps the pee smell, and is impossible to clean.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a covered one but I left the door off. I also have a mat at the entrance so any litter tossed is caught or not tracked as much.

To switch mine, I cleaned their deposits then just put their current litter into the new one. This I think helps them to know where to do their business.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if people care.. but from the perspective of your cat, uncovered is much more preferred than covered. Cats want to feel like they are in control of their surroundings when they poo. They want to have multiple exit routes and be able to see around them (in case a predator or other threat comes by). I know that covered boxes are more preferred by humans, but I also know of many cats refusing to use covered boxes and pooping on the floor instead. So... just a thought for consideration.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently had to get an indoor/outdoor cat used to indoor life and litter boxes. She would howl to go outside (but was not fussed about going out once she had relieved herself). I was consistent with her on this, and didn't give in to letting her out, and she'd eventually go to her tray, but to start with she preferred a covered one . She now has choice of covered and a larger uncovered, and appears like both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The toilet arrived yesterday and it's huuuuge! I can probably fit in there.

Anyway, as you guys suggested, I put the litter from the old box into the new one (and added at least the same amount of fresh litter because of how much bigger this one is), I didn't attach the door and put the new one in the same spot where the old one was and he's using it! There's almost no litter around it now so this mission was a complete success!

Oh and the bottom part of it is pretty deep (i would say around 30 cm) so even when he pees standing up he still can't reach the seem so I got lucky with my purchase (but asking before buying would have probably been the smarter way :D )

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely agree with A Azazel who agrees with cat behaviorist extraordinaire Jackson Galaxy, but having said that, yes, other posters have a good idea in putting both boxes where your cat can choose. Our family is now down to 3 from 9, and I still have 7 boxes here, 2 of which are huge and deep for those who like to "stand and deliver" and one of which is covered. The covered one does get used occasionally, so I keep it set up. That way, everyone can have something they feel comfortable with and as they are in 5 rooms, everyone can feel safe and secure.