Switching Food?

ashtonsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I feel stupid having to ask this. I'm so used to my chinchillas! We're switching Ashton's food over from junk food, to Nutro. I think growing up, all of our cat we had just got switched. No gradually easing them into the new food. But I want to do everything RIGHT with Ashton. I've done pretty good so far, and would like to keep going that way. So, anyway, my question is: With a kitten, should I gradually change his food over to the Nutro? If so, how slowly should I switch it (with chins is takes about three weeks before they are fed only their new food). Or is it ok to just give him his new food straight out? *sigh* Told you I felt stupid. lol

Thanks again!

jenluckenbach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many many people switch foods gradually. But I will admit to not being like many many people. I have been know to just go directly to a new food. Just my opinion.

immortalflower

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give them a test meal, if they eat it with no complaints I just go and switch them over. If your can turns its nose up maybe you might want to think about gradual.

I switched my cats over to a new food last year. One turned her nose up the other will eat whatever so I just switched them. The picky eater was hungry enough by the end of the first day to eat the new food and that was the end of it all.

littleblackcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just switched Velvet from Science Diet to Royal Canin. I did it gradually, slowing mixing in a little more Royal Canin in with the SD over a week. I didn't want to risk stomach upset with a sudden change. It went well, no problems.

nern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would do a gradual switch over about 2wks just to play it safe. The first time I switched mine I did so too rapidly and had several cats with diahrea..not nice for me or for them.