Switching between brands of wet food

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet, upon discovering that Simon is apparently prone to two different kinds of crystals, recommended that we switch him to Hills C/D multicare (He said we could use wet or dry, but I figured the wet food would add more moisture to his diet, not to mention help with mixing in his meds). I don't want to cause stomach upset by suddenly switching out his food, but he really needs to start eating the new stuff ASAP to keep the crystals from becoming an issue -

How would y'all recommend that I gradually switch it over?

He currently gets three cans a day, though we're hoping we can ween him down to two again once we handle some of his health issues.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats have no issue switching between brands of canned food. If want, you can do a slow transition over a few days.

Just because the vet recommends prescription food doesn't mean you absolutely have to feed it or risk the cat's health :) It's ok to disagree with the vet about food. Urinary foods are gimmicky and junk filled. For some urinary issues such as bladder stones, a prescription diet may be helpful but for a short period of time. Most other urinary issues can be manged with just a canned food only diet, any brand that you feel is good quality.

Have you seen this on urinary issues and diet? Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

I think there's a supplement some people give to their cats who have urinary issues, d-mannose or something? There are probably some TCS threads on that if you search for it.

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet, upon discovering that Simon is apparently prone to two different kinds of crystals, recommended that we switch him to Hills C/D multicare (He said we could use wet or dry, but I figured the wet food would add more moisture to his diet, not to mention help with mixing in his meds). I don't want to cause stomach upset by suddenly switching out his food, but he really needs to start eating the new stuff ASAP to keep the crystals from becoming an issue -

How would y'all recommend that I gradually switch it over?

He currently gets three cans a day, though we're hoping we can ween him down to two again once we handle some of his health issues.
Hey there; a year later to your post, but I wonder what you ended up doing for your cat? My male tabby also gets urinary infections and I'm thinking about Hills C/D multicare. I used to give him wet food in morning and dry at night but now I'm going to start giving him all wet food. Let me know what you ended up feeding yours and if things resolved. Thanks!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there; a year later to your post, but I wonder what you ended up doing for your cat? My male tabby also gets urinary infections and I'm thinking about Hills C/D multicare. I used to give him wet food in morning and dry at night but now I'm going to start giving him all wet food. Let me know what you ended up feeding yours and if things resolved. Thanks!

Infections or crystals?
huge difference. If crystals they need to be desolved with hills cd. If not, only wet,no dry. Water bowls and fountain scattered around and churu tubes add in his food