Swelling Around The Face And Eye

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I found that Carrot had one eye crusted shut with goo and a scab on his nose. I asked my husband about it and apparently he's been unsticking his eye for the last two days, so I didn't notice anything wrong. His cheek is swelling up also. We have a vet appointment, but I just don't know where this could have come from. He's an indoor cat and I've never seen an indoor cat have something like this. Maybe one of his sister's scratched him?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be just about anything :sigh:. Could even be some sort of abscess in his mouth. Is he acting any different? Lethargic or anything like that? I'm glad you're taking him to the Vet. Keep us posted

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens and think it could almost be anything. I'm really glad you're getting him to the vet. Let us know what you find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He seems otherwise fine. Eating the same (though I really doubt anything could keep him from his food). I'm hoping its not too big of a deal, but wanted to see a vet to make sure we could get something started while I'm off work for a few days.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back from the vet. They numbed his eye and stained it. He has a scratch in the bottom corner of his eye which is now infected and he's been itching and picking at it. We have antibiotics and antiinflammatories for him. If it isn't getting better in a few days he needs to go back and be sedated since there could be part of a claw or some debris stuck in his eye. He is feeling sorry for himself.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was wearing the cone for a bit, but literally won't move at all with it on. So I have it off as long as we can watch him.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I'm so glad you took him in. Hope he heals fast and you don't have to have more work done on that eye.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And now your husband has learned not to help the cat hide his illnesses from you. Note you may have to figure out how much extra it cost with the delay. It was sweet of your husband to try to fix it, but best he learn now the ways of medicine are secrets. Glad it's fixable. I was afraid it was an allergic reaction to a bug bite.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't blame him for thinking his eye was just getting gunked up for no real reason. Carrot has feline herpes and often gets where his eyes get really gunky and gross. This time it being just the one eye should have been the red flag, but now he knows that.

The only harm done is that he now might have a bit of scarring on the cornea that will just be in his peripheral vision. Since Carrot already can't see like a normal cat, I doubt that will be a big problem.