Sweetie

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Sweetie passed away Saturday 10/5/19 as a result of a condition he was predisposed to. Before I adopted Sweetie he had developed crystals a couple of times and was put on a diet of Royal Canaan SO which helped. I continued this diet with excellent results. On Friday he was his normal self, then at about 10:30 p.m. I saw him go upstairs, and suddenly I heard growling and went to investigate. I found Sweetie sitting in his litter box not having results and he seemed agitated. I thought he was constipated and gave him some laxatone and left him in that room overnight. On Saturday morning he wasn't any better, it's really hard to find a vet in my area on weekends, and I didn't know if Sweetie needed an emergency vet. So I started calling different vet clinics trying to reach someone. I finally reached a vet in a neighboring town who already guessed Sweetie was blocked because of what I told him. This vet said he would come and get Sweetie and take him back to his clinic try to unblock him and bring him back on Monday. This is what he did, then a couple of hours later the vet called and said he couldn't unblock Sweetie, and basically he said the blocking was severe. He said I could take Sweetie to the emergency vet but they might not be able unblock him either,and would have to do surgery which would be expensive and Sweetie was an older cat. The vet seemed to be saying putting Sweetie down would be a better option because of his age, and that is what I decided because I didn't want him to suffer any more.

If anyone thinks I gave up on Sweetie too soon, I have previous experience with this problem. 30 years ago I had a much younger cat who became severely blocked and I wanted to do everything possible to save the cat. The vet did an emergency operation, and the next morning I got a phone call telling me the cat had been found dead in it's cage. So I know from this experience that surgery may not bring the desired result.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing Sweetie. Urinary blockage is a horrible thing to go through and I feel that you spared him a lot of suffering. You gave him the blessing of a peaceful release even though easing the pain in his body meant causing pain in your heart; IMO, that is true love. Godspeed and tailwinds west, dear Sweetie - you left the earthly realm knowing the joys of love, shelter, toys, food and family.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Believe me I know how you feel I was in your situation on the 15th Aug with my Tik. I made the same choice my cat was only 2 but had a heart murmur. I had to think about the cost and the emergency vet said the same as you was told he needed the operation to unblock him.If it could be guaranteed he would get through the op not block again the choice would of been different. So I definitely don't think you gave up to soon and I know how hard it was for you. You stopped his suffering.R.I.P. sweetie :alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweetie, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

No, I think you made the best decision possible for your cat with the information that you had. And I know that he knows that, as well, for he is now in the Place Where All Things are Known. And he blesses you for allowing that vet to ease his passing through that Gate we all must eventually pass. You will miss his physical presence, but the best part of him, his love for you, is now translated and purified into Love, and is with you always. Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss, you did the best that you could with what you had to deal with, it is sad and I am sorry. He is fine now, no more pain just fine and you will meet again one day and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You made the best decision one could possible make in a bad situation. Sometimes you just can't win!... We lost our twelve year old Siamese Toby on 4-16-19 after a six year battle with those dam crystals, so I know what you and Sweetie had to deal with. There comes a time for every living thing when one can not proceed. Sweeties time had come.

Last edited:

christfawk

Keeps hobblin' along
Adult Cat
Purraise
You didn't give up on Sweetie, you gave him the gift of your strength and love to spare him further suffering. I am sorry that you had to make such a terrible choice, but I am sure Sweetie would thank you for it. I hope your heart is filled with the warmth of love of all of the memories of Sweetie and the fullness of each day that you spent with him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When given a choice of letting pain continue or receiving an expensive operation that has absolutely no guarantees, you took the choice that gave mercy, that can never be bad. The mind always goes back to every possible senario once the original panic and anxiety subsides, and guilt comes in every instance. You did what you could at the time and that is all that would ever be asked.....
Try to celebrate Sweeties beautiful life and the time he shared your life's journey. It does absolutely no good to hash over something that can never be changed, it just brings pain and heartache. His life and the love he gave you is oh so much more important. He would never want you to go through this. That is love. Just as you would want for him, he wants for you, to go forward into life and carry his legacy of love so he may continue to live on through you. He will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. Let that love bloom and spread by sharing it, it will bring him peace.
My heart goes out to you, I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. I know how much pain these first dark days bring, but there is a light at the end of that tunnel. It just takes time and lots of it to fill that awful void in your life right now. You are strong enough to end pain in someone you love, now you must concentrate on ending your own, take care.......RIP beautiful Sweetie. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My deep condolences to you. I am very sorry for your loss.

It takes a very strong and selfless person to come to a decision like you did and let go, as it is never easy letting go.

My thoughts are with you.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
No one would judge you for your decision! You knew Sweetie best and you made the most loving decision possible for him. I'm very sorry for your loss, it's so hard to lose them. :hugs: