Sweet Rayna

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found my sweetie Rayna passed away yesterday after church. I adopted Rayna (Tortie) and Rhett (Brown Tabby) about 5.5 years ago from one of San Diego's animal shelters.
1621282053656.png

1621282082051.png

1621282105035.png

About a year and a half ago we moved about 55 miles outside of town where I was able to find a house on about a 1/4 acre in the mountains. The house has hardwood floors with windows and sills all around. They took to it fairly quickly and seemed very happy. Unfortunately with the move, house hunting, work etc I hadn't brought either cat to the vet for a checkup in about 2.5 years, thinking they were still young and in good shape. I'm not sure exactly the cause of Rayna's death, but believe she had a heart attack, blood clot, or somehow choked to death. After looking into sudden death in cats I found out about 20% of felines have at least 1 of 3 types of heart disease. When I found her, the rigor mortise had already set in. I feel responsible for her early demise, something that probably could have been delayed, maybe even doubling her life span or more.

The weather has warmed up and I had been letting both out which they liked and I'm glad I did.. Rayna seemed so happy only a couple days ago laying in the sun and rolling around. They mostly spend time inside the house, especially in winter when its cold, neither wanted to go out then. Losing a pet is tough, what I will always remember is her unconditional love and how she liked to follow me around the house, even keeping me company while I was working from home.
1621283177839.png

1621283200829.png

I originally adopted two cats so they could keep each other company while I was gone, mostly at the office 5 days a week. Now because of COVID I'm working from home a lot. I am thinking about adopting another cat, but am unsure how Rhett will react to a new feline in the house. Both Rayna and him were adopted at the same time and got used to one another and myself during the same period.

I buried Rayna yesterday between two plum trees in the backyard. Rhett saw me carry her out and was crying last night by the laundry room door we exited from, then again about 3AM near where she used to sleep next to my keyboard.

I will be taking Rhett to the vet soon for a checkup.

Rest in peace sweet girl, we won't forget you and already miss you.

1621283713817.png

1621283736989.png

1621283760015.png

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you and Rhett miss her in your life very much, it takes a long time to heal a broken heart. A sudden death like this most likely points to a heart condition, one that can be easily overlooked in a younger, seemingly healthy cat. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
When they leave us they take a little bit of us with them. It leaves a gaping hole that takes a long time to fill. That hole can be filled with a new love that would reside right beside Rayna's. Adding on to and helping hers to grow even stronger with its strength. Just like a mother with several children, each love is unique and finds its own space in your life. Each child is treasured and loved with equal intensity, though in different ways. You will never replace Rayna's love, you add on to it.
The bond you built over the years with that sweet girl can never be taken. It is spiritual, so eternal. Try not to dwell on her end, she would never want that, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, so she wants for you. Go forward into life and live every day to its fullest. Grief can consume your life if you let it, don't go there. She will always be near, as near as your thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself and your little family. Be kind to yourself. that little girl will always have your love, she is at peace....RIP dear Rayna. You will always have a secure place in a loving heart, you will be dearly missed. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Aww, sweet girl. What a beautiful kitty. Please try not to blame yourself, though I know that's easier said than done. It could have been something sudden and unpreventable. :hugs: You and Rhett are in my thoughts.

Rest in peace, little Rayna. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for the kind words & prayers.

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your terrible experience. I know how that feels, finding your own cat dead while you were not there, I know...
But if you think she had an heart attack, you shouldn't blame yourself, it was a sudden thing, and it is very likely you couldn't have prevented it.
Rhett will mourne her friend for a while, but he will come to terms with it, eventually, and it is even possible that he will stick with you more than in the past.

RIP beautiful Rayna, you have left this world, but not your family's heart, where you will live forever.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on losing Rayna. I agree that it was probably an undiagnosed heart condition. At least she lived an incredibly enriched, full life that you did your best to provide. Working from home gave you bonus hours together and that will give Rhett the strength to heal. How is Rhett doing now?

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you catsknowme, Rhett seems to be doing fine, maybe a little more needy, but that is to be expected I think. I ordered this from Etsy and will place it after receipt.

1622480986360.png

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
You may feel responsible, but the only thing you are guilty of is loving that baby. It's not your fault, please don't blame yourself. <3 She looked like a happy happy cat and that's all because of you!

I'm so sorry for your loss and I'll be thinking of you and Rhett!

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brought Rhett to the Vet last week and he seems to be doing well physically. Every now & then though I find him laying on the floor in the kitchen staring at the wall, we both still miss Rayna quite a bit.

I received the headstone which I am quite happy with, and finally the landscape rock.

1623545915340.png

1623545965531.png

1623546193245.png

1623546280869.png

The night before she passed we listened to the video below, it was very calming for all 3 of us before we went to bed.

Rest in peace sweet girl.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful video+ music reaches Heavenly Ears. The river stones are beautiful - such a peaceful resting place for dear Rayna 💕 Thank you for the update

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was at the veterinarian, he confirmed what many of you said, she probably died from cardio vascular (heart) disease. I'd like to thank everyone for their good wishes, prayers, and advice, along with my family & friends it all definitely helped me feel better. God bless you all.

Last edited: